Help, my chicken blocks the automatic door

chickcrazyNC

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Hi Y'all!

I have an automatic door that is installed but I've been afraid to plug it in because my silkie insists on roosting in the doorway every night! If I install it, is it going to hurt him when it comes down? Will it just stop when it hits him and eventually close all the way when he moves? I just don't know how much force it uses when closing.

Also, any ideas how to break this habit he has of sleeping in the doorway? Maybe a lower roost?

Thanks!

When he's in the doorway, turn on the auto door... see what happens.... he should move... If he stays outside, no problem.... you never had a locked coop anyway.... then maybe he will go inside... you can put him inside after closing the door.. see if he learns..

Thanks for the quick reply DaveOmak! I do go out every night to shoo him in and close the door manually. Sometimes I'll gently let the door down to see what happens and he just stands there with the door on his back lol! I guess I'm just worried about the force of the automatic door, I'm assuming it comes down slowly enough that it won't hurt him but haven't really tested it.

Why don't you bring the door down on him with enough force to make it uncomfortable, but not hurt him. Perhaps this would teach him. Better to teach him with a little discomfort applied by you than to risk injury with undetermined force from a mechanical device.

Back
Top Bottom