1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP! My chicken can't use both her legs...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chickie Chick, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Chickie Chick

Chickie Chick New Egg

Nov 12, 2012
    My chicken dosn't seem to be able to use both her legs. She continuously colapses. She is still eating well, she is always awake and alert. Other symtims include:
    Drowsy
    tumbling
    refusing water
    She is still sleeping fine, its just both her legs that don't seem to work...
    What can i do to help?

2. bird sitter

bird sitter Chillin' With My Peeps

Has she ingested any stale water?

3. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

how old is she? how long has it been going on. you may want to post this under emrgancy and diesases and injurys you may get good response there

4. bird sitter

If you haven't changed a water source for a while and it has been sitting it can carry bochilism ( i'm sure i'm spelling it wrong lol). Or if she has taken a drink from a pond that doesn't have a lot of movement. My blue silkie hen had wandered down one of my ponds that i haven't had ducks in for a while and she took a drink of the stale water and passed away a couple days later. I recommend going to a feed store and buying electrolytes or vitamins for chickens or if you can take her to a vet they can give her a shot for bochilism.

5. bird sitter

Hope I can help! :)

6. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Im new to all this chicken-keeping malarky but did have a young pullet who died of Marek's disease. She lost the use of her legs and her eyes looked funny, like the pupils were dilated. She would eat but was reluctant to drink, we eventually had to put her out of her misery as it was very bad and she was obviously suffering. Just a thought but maybe its this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by