Help, my chicken can't walk

Pangy

Chirping
Apr 18, 2015
I have a red Sussex that's about a year old and all of a sudden yesterday she stopped walking. I separated her from the rest of the flock, she is still eating and drinking but just won't walk. When I picked her up to see if she will walk her legs are curled up under her but she will kick them but when I put her back down she just curls them back under her and won't move . Her eyes look clear her head is not drooping she's not sleepy. Her butt was all caked with feces because she was just pooping where she was sitting so I cleaned her bottom and then she had explosive diaherra. I grave her some yogurt and some apple cider vinegar. Could it be a vitamin deficiency.

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Sorry about your lame hen. Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Does you hen normally lay eggs, and have you checked her for being egg bound? You can insert a finger into the vent up to 2 inches for a hard object to check. I would start some poultry vitamins that include B2 (riboflavin.) I would clean her vent off with soap and water, and dry her. A chicken sling or chair can help to get her up and out of her droppings and in front of her own food and water. Take her out often to stretch or to sleep. Here is a link for pictures and a good video of a homemade one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

QuacksALot

Chirping
Jun 26, 2018
Sorry about your lame hen. Was she vaccinated for Marek's disease? Does you hen normally lay eggs, and have you checked her for being egg bound? You can insert a finger into the vent up to 2 inches for a hard object to check. I would start some poultry vitamins that include B2 (riboflavin.) I would clean her vent off with soap and water, and dry her. A chicken sling or chair can help to get her up and out of her droppings and in front of her own food and water. Take her out often to stretch or to sleep. Here is a link for pictures and a good video of a homemade one:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Wow- that looks like that chicken is thirsty!

Top Bottom