Help! My Chicken has a prolapsed vent

Bri916

Chirping
Mar 31, 2018
For those of you who don't know what it is, a prolapsed vent is when the inside of their vent is turned inside out. This particular hen has had this before but made a full recovery. But now, it's much worse. She was standing around with her head lowered, so we went to see what was wrong. Her vent area was covered in poop and was prolapsed AGAIN. Tell me your ideas, prolapsed vent stories, and recovery methods. We will take ANY help we can get.
Thanks,
Brielle Coffman
p.s. This chicken's name is Willow. She is an Andalusian hen.

Can you clean up her vent if it is covered with droppings, and post a picture? Prolapse can recur, since it can be caused by too-large eggs, previous vent damage, and egg binding.

Honey, hemorrhoid cream, or sugar can be used to reduce swelling. Keep the red prolapsed tissue moist with honey or oil, so that it does not dry out, or it can die. You can stop laying over several days to rest the vent by placing her in a dark cage or room for 16 hours everyday overnight, and allow her out for the other 8 hours.

Try pushing the prolapse back inside as often as it pops out. Hold it there for a few minutes.

We isolated her from the flock and put her in a dog kennel (filled with bedding) in a dark closet.

We bathed her(to clean off the droppings) and held it back in, but it kept falling out. I will try to get a picture.

I don't think I will be able to get pictures of the wound right now, I don't want to bother her. She's in a lot of pain.

Sorry that she is not doing well. In the morning, try a warm soak in Epsom salts water, or soapy water. Try to rub off the black skin with a wash cloth a little at a time. If it begins to bleed, that means you are down to healthy tissue. Don’t try to get it all at once, but it may take a few soaks.

At any time if you feel like she is suffering, by all means put her down or have her euthanized. Many times this can be a fatal condition. It can recur. Sometimes intestinal contents will come out. So use your judgement. Make sure that she can poop.

Sadly, we caught the issue too late, and Willow passed away earlier today. Thanks anyway for your advice. I will use it if needed in the future. ~Brielle

Oh no, I am so sorry! I have a similar situation with a 1yo Cochin who prolapsed and just could not keep it in. We did the whole run of ointments and even made a little gauze sling to hold it in over night but I noticed in the morning some poop had dried on it and it seemed darker too... needless to say I went to multiple vets (narrowly escaping euthanasia) before one decided to give her a little suture and now I'm at home with her hoping she gets better. I feel for you, and send willow my thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom