Help! My chicken is breathing through it's mouth and making loud breathing noise after using syringe

Luckybaby

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
My chicken's crop isn't fully empty since 4 days ago. I have been massaging it since Saturday, and giving it water and olive oil using the syringe since Sunday. Today, the crop contains about 50% less solid food than what it have 4 days ago. He still doesn't want to eat and I never feed him anything since Saturday, but it drunk water on it's own since today. At first, I thought it is impacted crop, but now, I think it have sour crop. All what I can feel, are the food it ate, and the liquid that it drank. However, the liquid that it drunk went to it's digestive system before 12 hours after drinking it, since I can't feel it when I try to touch it's crop. It's poop since Sunday, is watery and it's color is yellow green and white. Today, I decided to make it drink about 7-9 ml of apple cider vinegar, since I think it have sour crop. One hour later, I saw it breathing through it's mouth and sneezing( some liquid came out of it's nose), and I can hear breathing noise. Two hours after that, and up to now, the breathing noise is louder and constant, but it is no longer sneezing. Did some of the ACV and/or water(I gave it some water after I gave it ACV), went to it's lungs? What should I do? Is he going to die soon?

My mom feed him whole corn and broiler starter crumbles before Saturday.
Today, I make sure that 0.5 to 1.5 ml of water, and/or ACV drop on the top of it's tongue using the syringe before I make it swallow it, and do it again.

Last edited:
About 15 minutes ago, I heard noises in the chicken coop. When I went in there, it is trying to get out of the coop on the gap in the wires between the coop and white cloudy liquid is dripping out of it's mouth while it's neck is hanging down. Few seconds after I saw it, it opened it eyes, while I was trying to put him back to his coop. I feel like it wanted to see me for the last time before he died.

He is 2 years old +/- 2-3 weeks, and the leader of the flock. I feel really bad right now, since I think I unintentionally killed him.

wow luckybaby. Sorry about your roo. It seems like you did all you could to save him. Don't beat yourself up. You tried your best. I know what it feels like to lose a bird and it is no fun.

wow luckybaby. Sorry about your roo. It seems like you did all you could to save him. Don't beat yourself up. You tried your best. I know what it feels like to lose a bird and it is no fun.
I think I killed him because of error. I think I will feel guilty throughout my life, since I unintentionally killed him, just because I didn't try my best to know what to force feed him, and how to force feed him something. I hate learning mistakes at the expense of getting someone hurt or killed.

Why did you wrote sorry about my roo?

Last edited:
Luckybaby,
I wrote sorry about your roo because in your first post you referred twice to the chicken as " he or him ". In post 4 above you refer to the chicken twice as " him ".
I assumed you were talking about a male chicken ( rooster ) or roo for short. Remember that learning, unfortunately often comes from mistakes. Perhaps I misunderstood your posting but it seemed to me that you had a sick roo , asked for help and advice and did all that you could to save him. As I stated earlier, I know how bad it feels to lose a bird and that is why I wrote sorry about your roo. I hope you have more chickens and I wish you luck with them. I don't know of anything different I would have done other that what you did to try and save the bird.

I am new to this forum. I am in Louisiana and as yet I have stafted my endeavor as I am reading ALL I CAN before I venture into the would of Back Yard Chickens.

I lived in East Tennessee as a youngster and All My relatives had chickens and we had those good ole fresh eggs all the time. That was 60+ years ago but I have fond memories of those times. That was also when fried chicken was Sunday dinner and not someghing out of a fast food window.

Lookin forward to learning from all the people on here how best to approach this project.

I am new to this forum. I am in Louisiana and as yet I have stafted my endeavor as I am reading ALL I CAN before I venture into the would of Back Yard Chickens.

I lived in East Tennessee as a youngster and All My relatives had chickens and we had those good ole fresh eggs all the time. That was 60+ years ago but I have fond memories of those times. That was also when fried chicken was Sunday dinner and not someghing out of a fast food window.

Lookin forward to learning from all the people on here how best to approach this project.
Welcome to BYC! You might want to check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/160883/louisiana-la-yers-peeps

-Kathy

Welcome to BYC. Here is a link to the Learning Center at the top of the page where you will find many good articles about every aspect of raising chickens: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and here is a link to the Forum page where you can read all of the recent posts on every subject: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/64/raising-backyard-chickens

Hi ChuckMC and welcome to BYC. I visited Shreveport about 34 years ago. Beautiful town. Good luck in your chicken endeavor and this is a great site to learn. Lots and lots of helpful folks that really know about birds.

Back
Top Bottom