help! my chicken is limping!

jenthechicken

Hatching
Sep 2, 2016
I have 8 hens, and the other day one of them (Jen)started limping. She has also started keeping to herself. Other than that she seems totally fine. She is alert, and eating and drinking. She also will sit a lot. She is an 18 month old Rhode island red. I inspected her feet and legs, but I found nothing. I suspect a strain, but I am not sure. I also gave her half a baby asprin and it seemed to help. How much asprin can I give a chicken? Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you!!

@jenthechicken Welcome to BYC!!

i might quarantine her so that she doesnt have to run around, or maybe lock them up for a few days so she doesnt travel
give her leg/foot a break and it will make it easier for you to inspect her more regularly

Oh my gosh, my four month old Black Giant roo started limping two days ago, nothing unusual happened, that I know of. He seems to be eating and drinking okay, but once he got to his favorite got to his favorite spot to have his naps (under the big lilac bush) he has just laid down and is watching his brother and my two Americana hens. They are all the same age.

What is Bumblefoot? I am a first time chicken Mom...I have a
Had all of them since they were a couple of days old. Thanks for any advice you have.

Oh my gosh, my four month old Black Giant roo started limping two days ago, nothing unusual happened, that I know of. He seems to be eating and drinking okay, but once he got to his favorite got to his favorite spot to have his naps (under the big lilac bush) he has just laid down and is watching his brother and my two Americana hens. They are all the same age.

What is Bumblefoot? I am a first time chicken Mom...I have a
Had all of them since they were a couple of days old. Thanks for any advice you have.
bumble foot is a sore (looks almost like a plantars wart) that quite often needs to be surgically removed, if bad enough, sometimes soaking in epsom salts and iodine can fix, but the fastest fix is surgical

istock_000012222222222xsmall.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, I just turned my BG over on my lap and examined his feet really good and they both seem to be healthy will no irregularities. I checked up their thighs and there did not appear to be any type of wounds either. I am assuming that it is some sort of sprain and have left him in the coop by himself for a day or two to see if it gets any better.

Thanks muchly for your ideas and help. :)

Okay, I just turned my BG over on my lap and examined his feet really good and they both seem to be healthy will no irregularities. I checked up their thighs and there did not appear to be any type of wounds either. I am assuming that it is some sort of sprain and have left him in the coop by himself for a day or two to see if it gets any better.

Thanks muchly for your ideas and help.
smile.png
Some people will even make a sling for them, so that there is no movement required:

11732_img_1507.jpg
7205_bird_chairsling.jpg

Back
Top Bottom