Help my chicken is poorly

Sorry for your loss. Most states have vets who will do a necropsy on chickens to try and find a cause of death. Those can include doing Mareks testing and cultures for different diseases. To do that, one must keep the body cold, but not freezing, and contact the vet for instructions on shipping or bringing in the body asap. Here is a link for contact if you should lose another chicken:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

I’m in the UK so that isn’t an option here I don’t think, we left her with the vet and he is going to cremate her and get rid of her remains

I am very sorry to hear that she didn't make it. :( If she hasn't been cremated yet, you might call your vet and ask if they can send the body in for a necropsy.

A necropsy is a post-mortem examination and is available in any country where modern veterinary medicine is practiced. They should also be able to test the flesh and see what kind of bacteria it was if it is present. This will help you better protect your flock if you have a deadly bacteria present in your area.

If she has already been cremated when you call, ask them what the process is to get a bird necropsy done in the future so you are prepared if you have another bird die from this (or from any other mysterious illness).

Back
Top Bottom