Help my chicken is poorly

mcknli7

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2021
Hi guys and gals, I’ve been lurking round the forum for a while now but never registered, I know need help please, one of my hens (not quite 12 months ) started to just sit the other day, she can weight bare on her leg but doesn’t walk and today I’ve noticed kind of lumps on her underbelly, pics are below (not the easiest to get when she is squirming round as doesn’t like being on her back, any suggestions as to what it may be would be great, TIA x 4E40E6A0-A782-4D26-A468-49E762D1109F.jpeg CD2E41B1-9213-4BBE-954E-2318C6ACFB5E.jpeg

Oh my. Is that by the vent? I know you said belly, but all of that greenish stuff looks like either poop or a bad infection. Is it hard to the touch? I would wear gloves.

Frankly, I'd take her to an avian vet if you have one nearby. Or at least call one and describe the symptoms/ send these pictures.

The green coloured stuff was poop I think and I tried to wipe her down as best I could to get the pictures, think it’s because she is constantly sitting that she got covered in it

Oh my. Is that by the vent? I know you said belly, but all of that greenish stuff looks like either poop or a bad infection. Is it hard to the touch? I would wear gloves.

Frankly, I'd take her to an avian vet if you have one nearby. Or at least call one and describe the symptoms/ send these pictures.
Also the lumpy bits do seem hard to the touch but all round them is soft

I would try a warm water bath for 10 minutes with epsom salt, just to soothe and clean the area off and see what's what. Take another picture after that so we can see what's oozing and what isn't. If it's all bumps and no open sores, it may be an infection under the skin or a symptom of some other illness, hard to say.

Could possibly be vent gleet too if it's near the vent, which is a fungal infection, I believe.

Don’t want to sound daft but do I just get a bowl/bucket and pop her in it (never bathed a chicken before)

Haha, no worries. Yes, either something that is deep enough for her to stand in and be submerged up to the wound site, or deep enough to where you can comfortably hold her butt into the water for the 10 minutes.

However you do it, you just want to make sure to give it a good soak. The epsom salt will clean the injury and help prevent further infection.

Pro tip: she probably won't love it, so either hold her wings down with your hands while she's in there or wrap her upper half up in a towel like a chicken burrito to keep her calm during the soak.

Back
Top Bottom