Help! My chicken is very sick

chicken18014

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 27, 2014
Hi I'm new to this but I have an emergency! My silver laced Wyandotte has bin sick her comb and wattle are a pale pink and she's very lethargic. She hasn't bin moving around much and she actually let's me pick her up with no problems which is unusual for her. The other hens I have are bullying her and I think it's cuz they no she's sick. She has a couple of sores on her head where they pecked her and some pulled out feathers in various places. She has bin seperated from them now though. I also realized that it seems that her toe has bin..cut of or something cuz half of it is missing and theirs blood on the stub but when she does walk (which isn't to much) she seems fine. My biggest concern is that she might have a tumor because she has a pointy-ish lump on her neck and it's red with no feathers on it. And it's fairly big, about a little bit smaller then a golf ball but it doesn't have that full round feeling like it feels like a little hill. And she's bin moving her neck in a weird way every once in a while. At first I thought it might be a crop problem but it seems to far up to have to do with her crop like its near the middle/top of her neck and when I look at her it's on her right side. I felt it and it is hard and she didn't really have a problem with me touching it. She seems to eat and drink okay though, and all the other chickens are fine. Please help!

Hi I'm new to this but I have an emergency! My silver laced Wyandotte has bin sick her comb and wattle are a pale pink and she's very lethargic. She hasn't bin moving around much and she actually let's me pick her up with no problems which is unusual for her. The other hens I have are bullying her and I think it's cuz they no she's sick. She has a couple of sores on her head where they pecked her and some pulled out feathers in various places. She has bin seperated from them now though. I also realized that it seems that her toe has bin..cut of or something cuz half of it is missing and theirs blood on the stub but when she does walk (which isn't to much) she seems fine. My biggest concern is that she might have a tumor because she has a pointy-ish lump on her neck and it's red with no feathers on it. And it's fairly big, about a little bit smaller then a golf ball but it doesn't have that full round feeling like it feels like a little hill. And she's bin moving her neck in a weird way every once in a while. At first I thought it might be a crop problem but it seems to far up to have to do with her crop like its near the middle/top of her neck and when I look at her it's on her right side. I felt it and it is hard and she didn't really have a problem with me touching it. She seems to eat and drink okay though, and all the other chickens are fine. Please help!

First
welcome-byc.gif

You have photos ????

Her age ???

Oh wrap her toe to stop the bleeding and keep dirt out ...

Last edited:
She hasn't bin wormed since she was young..what should I do I'm really freaking out cause to be honest I didn't even really think she would make it last night @Fancychooklady

Last edited:
It wouldn't hurt to worm her, and maybe give her some antibiotics as well so none of her injuries get infected. That't the last thing you need right now.

She hasn't bin wormed since she was young..what should I do I'm really freaking out cause to be honest I didn't even really think she would make it last night @Fancychooklady

Worms can kill a chicken and lice and mites can run them down to the point of no return. Is she eating and pooping? I would try her on some scrambled egg with a spoon of Greek yoghurt mixed through, check her over for lice and worm her.

Yea I'm about to wrap her foot and she is about 4 years old

The bump i was talking about is the red thing on her neck @gander007

She is one sweet looking lady you have ....

Okay you have had her for some time and care for very much or you would not be here so some regular yogurt and the mashed up boiled egg mixed together is to clean her out and plain yogurt has the live yeast you are looking for this should clean her out and if by Monday night if you do not see or have evidence of her pooping then and only then should you think about Epsom Salt added to water this will most defiantly clean out the pipes and this is what needs to be accomplished because the vet nor another doctor will put a cleaner in her to clear her out too expensive ...

This should get her to eat better when there is clear passage all the way from one end to the other and then she should be getting some wet feed no corn more like Turkey Grow as it is ground up small and easy to digest this and some hard boiled egg's ....

If you are going to worm her first clean her out first .....

The boil on her neck,,,,,, are you into lancing it by yourself as this can be dune as step three but lets get her healthy first so she can take the cut and not go into shock ....

If you have any questions just ask and I will try to help as soon as I can ....

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom