help. my chicken seemed to hatch TOO early

perkey6141

Hatching
Jul 25, 2016
pilot mountain nc
can anyone tell me if my chick is going to survive..we had to help the chick get out of its egg after 27 hours of being in there with one little pip hole the whole time. The chick ended up removing it's self from the egg but the yolk sack is still attached an still has blood an very little yolk. The chick is out an tweeting strong and is moving but stays on its side. Idk what to do or think because this is my first go around

Any help would be well Appriciate :)

First, I would wrap the chick in a warm, damp paper towel and put it in a cup inside the incubator. You want the yolk to absorb without rupturing. Also put some vetricyn spray or antibiotic ointment (without pain reliver) around the opening, since it's been walking around the incubator floor. Less movement the better till it absorbs. How big is the yolk?

Some eggs take longer then others. I've had pips sit for 48 hours. You can check the inner membrane by opening the pip a tiny bit and putting some antibiotic ointment on the inner membrane (steer clear of the beak and nostrils). This will let you see if all the veins have been absorbed. If the chick needs help out the membrane has to be totally clear first.

How's the chick doing now?

RubyNala97

The chick is doing great from what I can tell. It has seperated it's self from the umbilical cord late last night and is trying to walk. I hope all turns out well with the fella. Since then I have had 4 hatch and 3 more pips

Thanks for the help :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom