help! my chicken was attacked!

ahilling

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
We have a mixed flock, 2 Plymouth rocks, 3 ameracaunas, 1 favourelle and 2 other chickens we were given. Typically the chickens do great add the original group were raised together. We had one chicken that was ostracized by the flock. We had another favorelle that we lost a few months ago to a possum attack that was ostracized after she had to be delegated due to a leg injury. When she returned she was picked in and then ignored entirely. everyone had been getting along until today. I called the girls to give them a treat and noticed one of the ameracaunas had an injury in her head and was missing an eye. She was fined last night when she was in her coop with everyone else. Now the other ameracaunas are attacking her. We removed her and cleaned her wounds. She is in our garage right now because I was afraid they would hurt her. What should we do? She is so sweet!

OH my gosh! I'm so sorry!!!! That's terrible. I'm sure you will get great advice from the folks on the site. I wish I could be of more help, I'm just new to raising chickens and have been lucky so far...no major injuries. I hope your girl is ok and heals up quickly. Not sure what to do but you need to find out what chicken is being so aggressive. THAT one needs to be segregated...Get it out and away from your sweet girls. Maybe in the soup pot..lol. Just kidding.
I'm sure others here have been through something like this and can give you some good advice on what to do and how to take care of your injured girl. Good luck!!!!
fl.gif

Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! You might want to post in the Emergencies forum on how to treat her injury. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures You will definitely need to keep her separate for awhile, and reintegrate her slowly, it is normal for chickens to pick on weaker members of the flock. Do you know if it was another animal attack?

Alright and
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you onboard
frow.gif

Ohhhhhh why are you always blaming me
sickbyc.gif
I just came by
to see what was going on here with all the noise
wink.png

Don't believe a thing that cat has to say He is always checking the security system around here and asking who would like to go to dinner
somad.gif

Hold it did you say I am a replacement because of what
th.gif

That's right,,,,,, and this is the reason we sleep on top of the house
hmm.png

That is why we are staying in here as long as possible
cool.png

gander007
old.gif

Last edited:
We have a mixed flock, 2 Plymouth rocks, 3 ameracaunas, 1 favourelle and 2 other chickens we were given. Typically the chickens do great add the original group were raised together. We had one chicken that was ostracized by the flock. We had another favorelle that we lost a few months ago to a possum attack that was ostracized after she had to be delegated due to a leg injury. When she returned she was picked in and then ignored entirely. everyone had been getting along until today. I called the girls to give them a treat and noticed one of the ameracaunas had an injury in her head and was missing an eye. She was fined last night when she was in her coop with everyone else. Now the other ameracaunas are attacking her. We removed her and cleaned her wounds. She is in our garage right now because I was afraid they would hurt her. What should we do? She is so sweet!

Alright I am not going to tell you what to do or even what you should do but I will say if you would like to keep your birds for any length of time a safe and secure coop is the only way to go or you too can collect a photo album of predator's and what use to be "a-livestock" ,,,,,,,, now I am not trying to make you mad or anything like that but the predator's are not in your living area you are in there's ..........
For a safe and sane coop it needs to be secure down to one half an inch
smile.png

gander007
old.gif

We have fixed the predator issue but I'm concerned because our girl is being attacked by other members of the flock. How can we help her

The eye u no doubt know is gone. Chickens are tougher than they are given credit, she will heal and still be able to have quality of life. I would get her on antibiotics. The only problem is the other birds might still pick on her blind even in only one eye may still be seen as a weakness. Good luck and best wishes.

I had a young roo that a coon reached threw the fence and opened his neck up. When he drank the water would
run out and drip off of his feathers. I put him by himself , duramicen in his water. After about two weeks he was good as new

images
to BYC!

You can start by keeping the injured bird warm. Injured birds go into shock easily, so you might want to keep this one under an infra-red heat lamp for a day or so till they adjust and start to heal. So sorry about your baby.

However, so glad you could join and enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom