1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! My chicken was attacked!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tbelcher, Dec 4, 2014.

1. tbelcher

tbelcher New Egg

Jun 4, 2014
    Several days ago m[​IMG][/IMG]y hen was gone for the night and when she came back it looked like her feathers ruffled or she was molting. My chickens do not let me hold them so I could not catch her, but today I was able to and I have discovered that there is a large area of skin missing from her back. I see no maggots but I do see meat . I had separated her from the other chickens and I am Not sure what else to do. The feed store suggested spraying vetricin on her. Advice please????

2. 1CityChick

1CityChick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2014
    I'd say that one needs a vet appointment. She needs oral and topical antibiotics, and the wound cleaned. Not fun with unhandled birds. Good luck.

3. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    I would clean it up good with part peroxide part water. Then use the vetericyn. I have personally never used it, but it is made for wound care. If it is warm where you are, watch carefully for maggots. It sounds like you know what you're doing. I had a hen attacked by a dog one time and used the peroxide water rinse faithfully and applied triple anti biotic ointment for 3 or 4 months. Chickens are very resilient. She bounced back just fine and you could never tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by