Help! My chicken won't come out of the coop!

Glad to find this post. I wasn't sure what to do about my SL Wyandotte. Would it be OK to carefully remove her from the nest to get our breakfast? Should I get her some fake eggs to tend? My sons are freaked out about it
lol.png

My Wyandotte wont leave one of our next boxes that is not in the secure coop. She's been in there all day.. I will have to take her out before bedtime because she needs to be safe. I'm worried about her.

I read to move the broody hen to a cage of her own so she can sit on her eggs,and the others can get into the nest boxes. Lucky you! I wish we had a broody.

Now I'm thinking that this is happening to both of my girls... I was worried, since they didn't come out of the coop yesterday when I went to feed them. Then, I went out this morning to feed them breakfast and they still wouldn't come out. In fact they are both sitting in the same nest box (practically one on the other) so I put another nest box in, but they got upset when I tried to scoot them out of the boxes.... I hope that's all it is.

My girl was attacked by a hawk and hasn't come out of her nesting box (without me picking her up and removing her) for about a month now. She isn't laying anymore either. Then about 2 weeks ago, my other hen started doing the same thing. No eggs, refusing to leave coop. They fluff out their feathers and scream at me but I try removing them once a day so they can move around and eat. Broodiness or traumatized?!?

Last edited:
I can't thank you guys enough for this forum and this thread.

My husband and I got two hens a few months back. We are new at it all but have become very attached to the chickens (against the advice of the person we got them from).

A few days ago, our chicken Henrietta started staying in the coop all day. Even when we let them out to go into the back yard, she would not come out. We got really concerned and started bringing food and water into her coop- but it didn't seem that she was really eating much.

My husband got and egg two days ago that was really hot and thought she seemed really hot to the touch. I was getting really upset last night and told him I didn't think I could have chickens. I had a feeling that something was wrong with her and that she was going to die. I was preparing myself for that moment.

This morning, he told me that he didn't think she was going to make it and wanted to prepare me. I cried and decided in my mind that soon, I would have to accept it.

THEN- I found this article! OMG. We took her out of the coop- placed her in the backyard and locked her out. We gave her lots of food, sprouts and water and watched as she walked around with her feathers out. I didn't know what that was all about.

I went back to read the rest of the article and found that the first thing is the puffing out of feathers. I realize now that she is brooding and aI am SO happy she is not dying! My day has turned from drab to hilarious! We have a hormonal hen!

Thanks again!

Sabrina Tracy

Omg thank you for this article! I'm only a teenager but I live with my parents and an older brother, of coarse he won't help though. I have 6 buff Orpington year old chickens that I love with my life! My one hen George (named that because of an old looney toons episode) was staying in her coop all day! Even when I let the rest free range! I was very scared. By any chance do any of you know why her comb is falling over and the top is turning white? I'm worried about that. And I'm new to this site so.... How do I post? Lol thanks

I also have a little white cochin name snow she is 6 months and ahe has never come out of the coop, I have 13 chickens 4 are various ages, the rest are around 6 months they are all free range...she doesn't sit on the nest boxes she just stays in all the time....any thoughts

I have 3 chicken that I got 4 days ago. They are 13 weeks old and I have a coop with a run attached to it and their water and food are outside in the run. But they are not leaving the coop for their food or water. Can someone advise me what to do. (I do put some water and food in their chicken coop as I don't want them to starve or dehydrate)

Back
Top Bottom