HELP MY CHICKENS ARE GETTING SKINNY

If I may, I agree also...It is not costly to have a poo float done. IF your birds have a parasite such as the cappilaria worm you may be facing something that Neither Piperazine nor Wazine (same basic thing) can conquer. Some parasites require something stronger such as fenbendazole.

Also, it depends on how long and how badly they have had coccidiosis how easily or hard it will be to get rid of it.

One thing is for sure...when you are treating for coccidiosis the bird's defenses are dropping, therefore, you do not want to immediately worm them. It is best to consult a vet and then treat. Both a serious parasite And coccidiosis can kill your birds.

Where does all this garbage come from that corn has no nutritional value?

100 grams (3.75 ounces) of corn contains the following nutrients:

Carbohydrates - 9 gm
Calcium - 9 mg
Dietary fiber - 2.7 gm
Fat - 1.2 gm
Folate - 46 μg
Iron - 0.5 mg
Magnesium - 37 mg
Niacin - 1.7 mg
Phosphorus - 120 mg
Potassium - 270 mg
Protein - 3.2 gm
Sugars - 3.2 gm
Vitamin A - 10 μg
Vitamin B - 15 mg
Vitamin C - 7 mg
Energy - 90 kcal (360kJ)

Quote:
Halo-

Whether one is right, wrong or in between, there is no need to call their statements "garbage". That has a very angry, negative tone to it, and serves only to alienate fellow forum members.

Better perhaps to say, "Here is the information from the corn label I have, it indicates quite a bit of nutritional value." That's a more respectful way to disagree, or so I was taught.

I thank you for the listing of the nutritional values of corn, since it was a concern of mine.

ranchhand

I could be wrong on this, but this is how it was explained to me on a pigeon forum I was on. They also recommended against cracked corn. But, they did say whole corn was nutritious. Their reasoning was that the 'heart' of the corn kernel was where the nutrition was, and once the corn was cracked, each bite they took was not as nutritious. So, they recommended feeding whole corn so that each bite the bird takes is nutritious. Just thought I would share.

Quote:
That makes sense to me. The center, and I can't remember what it's called, would tend to fall away. Good point, thanks!

Leghorns are a very light-bodied breed. Their weight is a problem only if their keels a pointy. Feel the breast bone and if it feels like a wide-mouthed U, they're fine. If it's pointy like a V, then they are loseing weight. It could be worms, Coccidiosis, or any number of things.

How old are these birds? If they are two-three years old then (being such a "heavy layer" type bird) then this is about the age (the commercial industry at any rate) that they are deemed "spent" > this means that their system is ready for a full molt... often they need help to initiate a full molt > after molting (during which they stop laying and their sytem "renews") they will once again lay nice and proper for you again(if you support them correct with proper nutrition and supplements). There are many articles on this.
If they are younger birds which have never been wormed then I suggest you worm them... I would first advise ivomec Eprinex (use the search function here) or valbazon (you can get this product from firststatevet supply:
http://www.firststatevetsupply.com/store/index.php

...both will treat all forms of worms.

Secondly I advise you to give a live culture yogurt (free choice) and a quality complete supplement like AviaCharge 2000 (you can order online from McMurry)

regarding the earlier comment on CAYENNE > this will do nothing for worms (what it will do is stimulate their own immune system which is helpful against disease, not parasitic infestation)

Last edited:
Help..my free range chickens are totally skinny...after the corn was harvested ...they have always been thin but muscular. .very healthy..except for last year when the wheat was harvested..they carried a toxin and I lost quite a few that year......anyway..could it be from just eating the corn left on the ground..an eatin very little chicken feed.also they can't seam to get enough water...I know they drink alot of water normally. But this is way past normal.I've checked all things I can do here.. (mites , ect )they have full crops at bedtime...most likley corn. Only thing I can think of is being mounted too often

Back
Top Bottom