HELP MY CHICKENS EYE IS SWOLLEN SHUT

Jul 4, 2022
20220704_185419.jpg

This is my chicken Mulan and his eye is swollen shut. I tried to look in his eye it is all pink and looks like tissue. I can't see the orange color in his eye or his pupil. I don't know what happend or what to do please help. I really want to save his eye.

How’s his eating/drinking status?
Is there any chance of chlaymidia or conjunctivitis? I’ve had birds with both, this could very well be that.
Is there any other symptoms?

How’s his eating/drinking status?
Is there any chance of chlaymidia or conjunctivitis? I’ve had birds with both, this could very well be that.
Is there any other symptoms?
He is eating and drinking like usual. I don't know much about sicknesses but I don't think it is chlaymidia but there is a slight chance of conjunctivitis. This could also be an injury because be lives with his 3 brothers. I put him in another cage alone. It's only in his right eye and I know he can't see out of they eye because he turns all the way around to see everything around himself. Do you think his eye could be saved? I have known him since he was hatched and it breaks my heart to see him in this state.

It looks to me like it is an injury from fighting or being picked on. The pink could be just swelling of his eyelids, but it could be punctured. Time will tell. Separate him with food and water, and clean his eye with saline eye wash. Terramycin eye ointmen, plain Neosporin ointment, or Vetericyn eye gel can be applied to his eye 2-3 times a day. Let us know how he gets along.

It looks to me like it is an injury from fighting or being picked on. The pink could be just swelling of his eyelids, but it could be punctured. Time will tell. Separate him with food and water, and clean his eye with saline eye wash. Terramycin eye ointmen, plain Neosporin ointment, or Vetericyn eye gel can be applied to his eye 2-3 times a day. Let us know how he gets along.
Yeah I thought it might be something like this. Thanks for the advice. And I will let you know how things go.

I agree, looks like scabs from fighting.
Hopefully the eye will heal just fine.

May be a good idea to house rooster separately. While some do get along just fine, if they are confined to closer quarters, fighting can happen.

I agree, looks like scabs from fighting.
Hopefully the eye will heal just fine.

May be a good idea to house rooster separately. While some do get along just fine, if they are confined to closer quarters, fighting can happen.
Yeah I saw that it looks like someone may have pecked at his lower eye. I separated him yesterday as soon as I saw his eye and he is still eating and drinking fine. Today he could fully close his eye and I put a warm compress it is still swollen but not as bad. But I think I saw some of his orange from his eye ( his eyes are orange like most chickens) so I don't think he will loose his eye. Thanks for the tips.

A quick update about Mulan's eye. So all of the swelling is gone but there is like a film over his eye. That pink suff that looked like tissue has been floating around inside of his bottom eye lid and today it just came off when he blinked but I didn't dare to remove it because I was scared it might be his 3rd eye lid. He can fully open his eye and everything but I don't know what to do about this .

Back
Top Bottom