Help! My chickens have lice. How do you recommend I treat it?

Picklestix7866

Songster
10 Years
Feb 20, 2009
Thawing Minnesota
I have a small flock of Silkies and ducks, and I just discovered that they have lice. (At least, I think it's lice. They are little yellow bugs.) They had these last fall and I sprayed them with lice killer, gave them bathes, and sprayed down the whole coop. Now they are back!

How do you suggest I get rid of them. What brand of lice killer do you recommend?

What are they getting this from? Could it be from the mice? Or possibly crows?

How do I get rid of the mice in the coop without hurting the chickens or my barn cat?

Thanks!

I just use a regular poultry dust from the feed store for riding of the northern fowl mites. However, they do come back now and then... largely because they free range and I can't keep the wild birds away. lice are species specific so it's probably the crows. Good luck!

Hi Picklestix! You can get lots of answers quicker by using the search bar at the upper right of the posting area - look for "lice" and "mice" and I'll bet you'll find LOTS of answers.

oh...forgot to add: WELCOME TO BYC!!

Last edited:
Sevin powder is generally recommended for lice. Mice do not carry bird lice.

Lice just show up, like fleas show up on dogs. My chickens have not gotten them yet, but my next-door neighbor just found them on her chickens yesterday.

I went out and bought Insectrin Dust with Permethrin. That is the only stuff they had at the feed store. I sprinkled them all with it, and then the coop. I'm hoping that will work.

Back
Top Bottom