Help! My chickens wont go up to their bed - at night

snappa

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Hi BYC
This is my first time on a forum - so wish me luck !
my fantastic hens (6) all different types are aged 6 weeks old and have moved into their new coop - it's a coop with a run underneath and then a ladder to the top for bed and laying.
This is there 3rd night - ive put them to bed myself and now want them to go to bed themselves -
At night they just bunch together under the ladder and cuddle up - like what they did since being hatched.
I have collected each one at night (when it's really dark like 11pm and put them into their bed - they then sleep together in the laying nest box and 'hide' in there.
In the morning i open the door and they fly down or come down the ladder - tonight they are just cuddling up together and have not gone up the ladder to bed - Am i expecting to much or should l put them into there bed and leave them for 48 hours - and should i worry that they are sleeping together in the nesting box and not on the perch.
Thank you for reading my worry!
snappa x

welcome-byc.gif
from KS!
Do they have a light in their coop? It may be too "dark and scary" for them to go inside at night on their own, I know mine had problems with that. I put up a string of solar powered lights and they were much better about getting themselves to bed.
Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Mine did the same thing, they had a nice comfy place to sleep, and instead they all huddled up right OUTSIDE where it was cold and wet. Go figure! Don't worry, they will get the hang of it eventually.

It may take awhile. Mine have been out in the coop for a couple of weeks now, and I still have to go in and pick most of them off the floor and set them on the roost.

By the same token, I wonder if it's like babies, and they are enjoying getting "tucked in" so why bother to learn what momma is trying to teach
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom