Help, my chicks are dying.

shadetreemom

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 17, 2011
Thank you for looking. Here is the rundown:

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
I now have 3 EE (lost one last night) 8 weeks old. I gave away 4 Amber Link chicks same age 17 days ago. Two of them have died. I also have in this coop 3 Serama chicks 12 weeks old. The adults are a Serama roo and a hen, and one white chicken with black specks - we call her White.
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Most of the chickens' behavior is normal. White was once my best layer. She hasn't laid for a couple of months and her comb seems pale. She has been acting a little tired for a month or so. I have heard coughing and some raspy breathing for a week or so, but only sometimes, and I can't tell which chicken(s) its coming from. My little EE who died was my favorite. She would always fly up to perch on my arm:( She was panting and acting strange yesterday. She didn't chase the bread treats, but would eat from my hand when I held her. I did not hear hear rasping or coughing. She was gone just a few hours after I noticed these things. I have been told of the chicks I gave away one acted puny one day and was dead the next, the other was just found dead. They are separate from his other chickens in a 4x6 coop. Don't know what they are being fed.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
no
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I wish I knew.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Everyone has chick starter available and oyster shell is available for the 2 laying age hens. They all eagerly went after the scratch I threw them this morning. I guess they are drinking well. I will change the water today.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
There is a huge variety of poop in my coop. I have seen typical little firm white capped ones. A few thin foamy brown ones. Some of them are loose and messy looking, but no blood that I can see. The chick that died passed a perfectly normal looking one while I was watching them yesterday.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
I noticed roundworms in a stool that had to be White's a few weeks ago (she's the only chicken big enough to make the huge poop I saw). They all received one dose of Wazine 19 days ago. That includes the chicks that were given away. They didn't get a second dose.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I would love to fix them without having to see a vet.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
The 10x10 dog pen style coop floor is dirt with a little hay and shavings and there are shavings on the hen house floor. I just raked and cleaned everything and hosed out the hen house the day I treated for worms.

I do not want to loose any more chickens.

Did you ever go back and retreat for worms? The coughing, wheezing and pale comb lead me to believe they are having a respitory issue. They need anitbitotics if that's the case. You can find those in powder form at the feed store. If it is a respitory issue they will be carriers for life and can infect future chickens you add to your flock. best of luck to you. I hope your chickens will be well.

And
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Is it too late (19 days) to give the second dose of wormer, or do I need to start over? Will it harm the chickens to give them all that medicine so close together if I start over?

At this point I think I would go with the antibiotics before I wormed again. The coughing is bad in a chicken. Then maybe go back and treat for worms once they are all well. Is there any nasal discharge or odd smell to the chickens that are coughing?

Nobody smells funny. I don't see a discharge. I have some tetracycline hydrochloride powder, but the dosing instructions on the label list 2 ailments with different dosing for each: CRD Air Sack Disease and Infectios Synovitis. Any pointers on dosing it?

Oh, and by the way, thanks for your help
smile.png

I would go with the CRD (chronic respitory disease) dose. You are welcome, I hope this will all work out for you. It's good that there is no smell or nasal discharge. You can give them some plain yogurt and egg yolk to give them a little boost too. The plain yogurt is really good for them when they're on antibiotics.

the best thing to give them is Tylan 50 or 200. It is a cattle medication you can get at TSC for about $9. It is an inject able but you can put some drops in the mouth, but best if injected just under the skin and allowed to absorb. Powdered medication is often useless and a waste. Respiratory illness in chickens is often a carrier state, so be prepared if you want to keep these you will need to always keep them separate from your other birds. It often lays dormant for long periods of time and appears during times of stress in the bird. Some forms can be passed by the egg, feather dander, snot, bodily fluid & poo. It can also spread by your clothes and shoes. It can seem to get better but can reoccur years later. Not trying to scare you, but it is best to know and be prepared how to protect your others.
As far as worming.... anytime you worm or use meds......ALWAYS do it for the recommended period of time. If not it gives the parasites/ viruses a chance to build up a resistance. Safeguard is a good wormer, you can get it in a liquid for goats. 3 cc per gallon of drinking water for 5-7 days, repeat in 14. Wazine only kills round worms, Safeguard kills more but is pretty safe to use.
Best Wishes

Back
Top Bottom