Help my chicks are dying!

belgie

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 27, 2011
When I went out this morning I lost another chick, that is 2 now. I have spoke with others from my area and they haven't lost any. I go up 4 or 5 times a day, change the water and food daily, heat lamp is now between 75 and 85 everyone seems to be running around during the day, the don't all huddle in a pile or scatter to the sides of the brooder, which leads me to believe they are comfortable. I lay new paper towel down twice a day, (DH thinks this is a bit much and thinks I should change to newspaper) I have had them for one week today and am afraid at this rate I wont have many left at the end. Please tell me if I'm missing something, doing anything wrong? should I add cider vinegar to the water give them a bit of yogurt? They are only babies one week old yesterday. I just feel terrible!

Quote:
First week baby chicks temp should be 95 degrees
2nd week- 90
3rd. week 85.
They may be chilled even though they don't act it??

Other than that...if you have older hens nearby...they may be carriers of Marek's disease?? Are your chicks on medicated food? How is their poop? Runny? bloody??

Thank you I will lower the heat lamp to warm them up, a few do poop runny but I didn't think anything of it, they are babies, but now I will pay more attention to that. I do have hens but they are not in the same room as the chick, can they still pass things? And I am very new to this I got the food from the local feed mill, and I have no idea if its medicated, I will find out and switch them if it not.

Thank you for all your advise, I really appreciated it.

Aside from all that, sometimes they just die. I started out with 52 and have lost a total of 3 over 5 weeks. They are not meant to be hardy birds. You will lose some on occasion, doesn't always mean you are doing something wrong. You are doing great. Keep up the good work.

Back
Top Bottom