help! my chicks vent is swollen!

Lunafarmchickens

Songster
Sep 12, 2017
My silkie chick had a pasty butt, so I soaked her butt in warm water as I read online and was suggested on byc. now a couple hours later her vent is very swollen and I'm worried she cant poop! I need help! I think that if she goes to long without pooping then she will die! Please reply ASAP!

Have you seen her poop since? I'd keep an eye on it we just had a chick with the same issue after his bottom was cleaned it was swollen it took him a good while to poop again but he did and swelling eventually went down. I was worried at first too but I think vent was just aggravated which caused the swelling

Have you seen her poop since? I'd keep an eye on it we just had a chick with the same issue after his bottom was cleaned it was swollen it took him a good while to poop again but he did and swelling eventually went down. I was worried at first too but I think vent was just aggravated which caused the swelling
I havent seen her poop yet, but I havent looked in about 10 mins. Now the swelling has went down a bit, but ill still keep a close eye.

Not pooping would kill her, I’m sorry to say. What do you feed her? Could she be eating the bedding? Is her crop emptying properly? If she’s eating the bedding, she needs grit asap. Construction sand will do for chicks in a pinch. If she’s backed up from paddy butt, coconut oil or stool softener might help, but I wouldn’t know dosing for chicks.

Last edited:
Not pooping wouldkill hdr, I’m sorry to say. What do you feed her? Could she be eating the bedding? Is her crop emptying properly? If she’s eating the bedding, she needs grit asap. Construction sand will do for chicks in a pinch. If she’s backed up from paddy butt, coconut oil or stool softener might help, but I wouldn’t know dosing for chicks.
She is not eating the bedding, its much to big for her. I feed her typical chick starter.

Back
Top Bottom