HElp my dog started killing my chickens

Folks, I used to make certain the carcass is disposed of. I no longer do that and allow the dogs to eat it. The emphasis is on leaving the live birds alone. I do not know why, but the change in approach has made is easier to get dogs to ultimately leave the live chickens alone. Individual dogs are different, that is true, but breaking them of harming the birds takes lots of interaction and persistent efforts getting dogs to have interest in other things.
I’m going to disagree fully here. No reward for this behavior period.

I’m going to disagree fully here. No reward for this behavior period.
How many dogs have you trained? How many dogs do you work with now? I currently run three adult dogs free-range with about 60 free-range chicks, juveniles and hens. I have two pups approaching a year old that can go out at night among pens and can behave properly with chickens while under supervision. In another year they will be competent like the adult dogs. It takes a good amount of repetition and consistency getting dogs to do proper.

How many dogs have you trained? How many dogs do you work with now? I currently run three adult dogs free-range with about 60 free-range chicks, juveniles and hens. I have two pups approaching a year old that can go out at night among pens and can behave properly with chickens while under supervision. In another year they will be competent like the adult dogs. It takes a good amount of repetition and consistency getting dogs to do proper.

I have 31 fully trained hunting dogs under my belt. 4 have been mine. The rest are outside dogs that were brought to me to train. I have two dogs that were train herd dogs for sheep.

If you want to spit ‘I’ve done more than you’ out this time, looks like I’ve got you more than covered.

Last edited:
And the other part of your question. I’m down to one dog. Free access to property 24/7. She is my hunting dog, and has the drive to hunt 9-10 hours straight. I’ve posted videos of chickens stealing bites off her bone WHILE eating it, and them investigating her while flaked out in sun. She won’t offer to do anything to stress anyone in the flock and she’s no slouch when it comes to protecting them.

I am so sad, devastated, hurt... so many feelings. I’ve had my chickens for over a year. They always hang out together with no issues, my chickens will even rest close to my dog. Last week I woke up to find feathers everywhere and the legs of one of my chickens. I thought an opossum killed it and that the dog was just taking advantage of the meat. But today I saw on my cameras my 6 year old mallinois get into the coop area and grab the rooster I don’t know how he escaped but my poor Debbie she wasn’t that lucky I found her laying dead on the grass. I am very sad I don’t know what to do to change my dog’s sudden behavior and I also don’t know what to do with Debbie’s corpse (should I bury it?) I am beyond sad and confused Debbie was one on my super layers and a favorite 😭. Please help me with any tips info whatever I’m too sad I’m literally crying. I put a lot on effort on raising my girls. She didn’t deserve to die like this.
I suspect you raised that dog with the same love and caring as your hens. The dog was just being a dog, we sometimes expect them to have as much compassion for other critters as we humans, they dont, they're dogs, pure instinct. Sorry for your loss, try to remember that dog as a pup, how much you loved him, and he you. No matter how well trained, he's still a dog and no one can train him not to be.

Maybe it was a case of revenge? I’ve watched my chickens get smacked by a cat for pecking them. I’ve also seen my chickens pecking the dogs, my dogs are big and just walk away but a small dog might get territorial or defensive and that in turn would make a rooster get defensive and then you have chaos.

I'm so sorry for your losses! It's always favorites, too.
Your dog and chickens need to be separated by good fencing, a safe coop, and run. Then, retraining will take time, while there can't be any time that the dog and chickens are together unsupervised. It won't be that easy, and this dog may or may not ever be safe unsupervised with your birds.
Back to on leash training, then long leash, then electric collar as a very long leash.
Does this dog have actual work? Being bored, especially when as smart and work oriented as your dog likely is, will inspire poor behaviors too. And a tired dog is a good dog!
Mary

I have 31 fully trained hunting dogs under my belt. 4 have been mine. The rest are outside dogs that were brought to me to train. I have two dogs that were train herd dogs for sheep.

If you want to spit ‘I’ve done more than you’ out this time, looks like I’ve got you more than covered.
I used work with coon hounds as a kid (until about 22 years old). We raised a litter most years. Most dogs were penned although older adult dogs, especially those past prime would be out all the time where they functioned as livestock guardians over about 5 to 10 acres the barn and other outbuilding were on. Chickens free-ranged that same area. I also kept a total of four dalmations although never more than two, a couple yellow labs and a border collie safely with free-range chickens. Most recently I got two German Pointers at two year intervals; male was killed when about 5 year old by car so started switching over to English Shepherds because they handle cold better during winter when outside all night. I also trained a neighbors LGD cross to leave my chickens alone. The more recent stuff documented on a couple very long threads on this site. I am still learning and will continue to do so as long as I am active.

Current active thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/english-shepherd-as-poultry-guardian.1008645/#post-15616568

Older closed thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/planned-poultry-guarding-dog.426408/#post-5237066

Your bird husbandry I’ve read thoroughly and enjoy. Giving the dog a bird it killed isn’t one that I will agree with. Ever.
Training bird dogs, if a dog ever gets a bird down it’s throat, it’s almost guaranteed to be a bird eater from that point. Almost impossible to correct.

Back
Top Bottom