HElp my dog started killing my chickens

Advar85

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
I am so sad, devastated, hurt... so many feelings. I’ve had my chickens for over a year. They always hang out together with no issues, my chickens will even rest close to my dog. Last week I woke up to find feathers everywhere and the legs of one of my chickens. I thought an opossum killed it and that the dog was just taking advantage of the meat. But today I saw on my cameras my 6 year old mallinois get into the coop area and grab the rooster I don’t know how he escaped but my poor Debbie she wasn’t that lucky I found her laying dead on the grass. I am very sad I don’t know what to do to change my dog’s sudden behavior and I also don’t know what to do with Debbie’s corpse (should I bury it?) I am beyond sad and confused Debbie was one on my super layers and a favorite 😭. Please help me with any tips info whatever I’m too sad I’m literally crying. I put a lot on effort on raising my girls. She didn’t deserve to die like this.

I'm so sorry for your loss. If you bury her, its best to do it deep underground with rocks on top to prevent predators from digging it up. As to how to make your dog stop, I suggest keeping him/her away from the chickens, and the chickens away from it. Best of luck to you and your chickens.

You have some work ahead of you. Getting additional control of dog will be an immediate concern. Then look into making coop more resistant to attacks by dog. Be prepared to use electrified fencing as it can keep other back actors from physically accessing where chickens are kept. Then start working on dog around chickens again. What has set dogs off when young was a change of weather where it suddenly cools off. My less vetted dogs are worked with more during cool downs and otherwise watched more closely.

Nothing worse than a chicken killing dog it's one thing if it's the neighbors . But if another if it's your own dog . Time to put the hammer down on that dog . Soon it will be killing the neighbors and you would be liable for it's actions .

Dispose of chicken however you like. Bury it deep enough to keep critters from smelling and uncovering carcass if that’s what you wish. I personally double bag them and they go out with the trash.

I'm so sorry to hear about your chickens 🥺 Canines, big and small of ALL sorts have a natural prey drive instinct. Chickens and other poultry are prey. I socialize my ducklings with my dog when they were babies, but even then, I keep the two species separated by a fence. We have to constantly train and confine dogs.. so they wont revert back to their natural instinct, which is to roam and hunt.

We have all seen the movie "Up" with Doug and the Squirrel

Folks, I used to make certain the carcass is disposed of. I no longer do that and allow the dogs to eat it. The emphasis is on leaving the live birds alone. I do not know why, but the change in approach has made is easier to get dogs to ultimately leave the live chickens alone. Individual dogs are different, that is true, but breaking them of harming the birds takes lots of interaction and persistent efforts getting dogs to have interest in other things.

Back
Top Bottom