HElp my dog started killing my chickens

Don’t worry everyone. People have been spinning that yarn forever. Doubtful they’ve ever actually done it. Who the hell would want a dog covered in blood and smelling like a rotten bird. Pure BS.

Animal and human aggression are two totally different drives. A dog going after a chicken has no bearing on the way it will interact with humans.

@chickenfinder

Soon it will be killing the neighbors and you would be liable for it's actions .

I am going to suggest an edit that will likely get the statement quoted above closer to the author's intended meaning.

Soon it will be killing the neighbor's chickens and you would be liable for it's actions.

I hope that's what was meant!
That 'training' method has been mentioned for decades, at least, and I agree, with at least doubtful results. I could see my idiot chicken killing terrier not caring, and a really smart, motivated dog learning to hide their behavior better.
Doing it might make the chicken owner feel better at the time...
Mary

I hope that's what was meant!
That 'training' method has been mentioned for decades, at least, and I agree, with at least doubtful results. I could see my idiot chicken killing terrier not caring, and a really smart, motivated dog learning to hide their behavior better.
Doing it might make the chicken owner feel better at the time...
Mary

It was from a dog training book that was widely touted back in the 60s, The Koehler Method of Dog Training. No doubt many people have actually tried that "training method", as I've seen it mentioned here numerous times and people are always looking for that sort of "quick fix" for their dog issues. Like you I don't see it being very effective and as Roosterhavoc mentioned, it's just downright nasty anyway.

This is honestly animal cruelty, please don’t suggest such a thing. Beat the dog with the dead chicken? Tie it to the dog’s neck and leave it to rot?
Wow.

Yeah, sure, back in the day that dog would have been shot for killing chickens. It was brutal but a lot better than being killed. Dad saved his bird dog and it left the chickens alone.

Don’t worry everyone. People have been spinning that yarn forever. Doubtful they’ve ever actually done it. Who the hell would want a dog covered in blood and smelling like a rotten bird. Pure BS.

Yeah, it was covered in blood and smelled for a few weeks. Out in its kennel. And yes, the idea came from a training book in the sixties and it was quite effective. So yes it was done, yes it worked and I doubt that anyone cares what kind of dog you have. Whether people want to do it or not is up to them so don't attack people for offering suggestions.

From my experience dogs love to wallow in rotten stuff, the stinkier the better. So I do not see the intended "educational benefit" in leaving the dead chicken tied to the collar until it rots.

Beating a dog senseless for killing a chicken only attests to the owners incapacity to recognize and assess the dogs abilities and dealing appropriately with it: training or proper fencing to avoid further damage.

Last edited:
OP, I’m not familiar with the personality traits of a Mallinois, so I’m not going to suggest any kind of training methods. However, I do strongly suggest you put electric fence around your coop and run. That should discourage your dog from breaking in and killing any more chickens. We’ve had electric around one of our coops for 3-4 years - I don’t remember exactly. This spring, my dog accidentally got too close and got zapped on the nose. He ran yelping for the house with his tail between his legs. He hasn’t come within 30 yards of the coops since then.

Back
Top Bottom