HELP! My dog wants to eat my chickens!

newbie32

Songster
6 Years
Aug 16, 2013
Low Desert, CA
My cocker spaniel is a loving family pet that has been around a whole lot longer than my chickens. I am not going to get rid of him. BUT he keeps digging and has almost got into the run and coop
somad.gif
! He is never left outside for long intervals because he is a house dog but he digs every time we let him outside. I thought perhaps he was just curious so I let him sit nicely beside me while I was in the coop. NOPE! He charged
he.gif
! I of course got to him before he got to the girls. How do I stop this? I can not afford the zap wires. I keep filling the holes back in. I even filled one with chicken wire hoping to stop it. Didn't work. What should I do? I am not killing my dog or getting rid of him. I have already spanked him and I kicked him on accident when I was grabbing him the day he charged. And that obviously did not stop him either. I am very frustrated

Some dogs can't be taught to leave chickens alone but others can learn. I have two friendly dogs (lab and golden) and they were very curious at first and would fly at the chickens but now they ignore them. I would put him on a leash and walk him toward the coop, then have him sit and if he tries to go to the coop tell him to leave it. Keep doing this until he knows to leave the coop alone. Reward his good behavior with treats. He's probably just curious and will get used to them but it takes some training and a lot of patience. If it doesn't work you might have to put him on a chain away from the coop when he goes to the bathroom. Good luck!

buy a roll of wire at least two feet high. Lay it flat on the ground all around your coop. Get some stiff wires and put a hook at the top, then drive them in to hold the wire in place. I used rebar on mine and hog ringed the ground wire to the run wire. Think something like tent stakes, only longer. This will help keep your lil' digger from excavating the coop.

Some dogs have a very high prey drive and never "get over it". You might not ever train him to leave the chickens alone. It's always worth a try though.

Here is the story of my chicken killer.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24453

buy a roll of wire at least two feet high. Lay it flat on the ground all around your coop. Get some stiff wires and put a hook at the top, then drive them in to hold the wire in place. I used rebar on mine and hog ringed the ground wire to the run wire. Think something like tent stakes, only longer. This will help keep your lil' digger from excavating the coop.

Some dogs have a very high prey drive and never "get over it". You might not ever train him to leave the chickens alone. It's always worth a try though.

Here is the story of my chicken killer.

http://www.backyardherds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24453

Thank you for the idea. Will my chickens get caught in the wire if I let them out to free range?

Just wait till your chickens start trying to dig to the dogs. lol Cracks me up. They are digging massive holes right next to the dog run. We have a ton of fence and this is the only section that is shared with the dog run and the only section they are digging at. I keep telling my DH they're going to dig into the dog run and regret it! We keep filling in the holes but like others said, wire. That's how we keep the dogs from digging to them.

Just wait till your chickens start trying to dig to the dogs. lol Cracks me up. They are digging massive holes right next to the dog run. We have a ton of fence and this is the only section that is shared with the dog run and the only section they are digging at. I keep telling my DH they're going to dig into the dog run and regret it! We keep filling in the holes but like others said, wire. That's how we keep the dogs from digging to them.

Hmmm I didn't know they dig too. I only ever see them dig (and make a huge mess!)
rant.gif
with their food!

Last edited:
We had the same sort of problem with our beagle/terrier mix. She tried to dig in, would dash in when the coop door was open, etc. I would scold her every time she acted too interested in them, but that didn't seem to be working. I finally got a chair, put it right next to the coop, sat down and petted her, talking to both her and the chicks in a pleasant voice while she was relaxed. When she got too focused on the chicks, I would alter my tone to my "bad dog" voice. This went on for several days until she finally seemed to get it. Now she gets right in the middle of them while they are free ranging with no problem. That's not to say that I trust her totally, but it has been a big improvement.
I don't know what might work for your dog, but this seems to have helped with mine. Good luck!

I know a sure fire way to break a dog from killing chickens. If you used it however some bleeding heart animal lover would try to put you in the state pen. BTW, this method does not involve hitting, kicking, or electrocuting your pooch, but you will need to confine him in an outdoor pen by himself for one to four weeks depending on the weather. Besides no chicken will be further harmed during the application of this training method. Isn't it sad that the most ignorant members of our society (exemplified by those in my second sentence) have usurped the mantel of leadership from the great majority of Americans with common sense?

I know a sure fire way to break a dog from killing chickens. If you used it however some bleeding heart animal lover would try to put you in the state pen. BTW, this method does not involve hitting, kicking, or electrocuting your pooch, but you will need to confine him in an outdoor pen by himself for one to four weeks depending on the weather. Besides no chicken will be further harmed during the application of this training method. Isn't it sad that the most ignorant members of our society (exemplified by those in my second sentence) have usurped the mantel of leadership from the great majority of Americans with common sense?

Why would I get in trouble for that? People leave their dogs out here in the desert to be eaten by coyotes cause they cant afford them or because the pit bull wasnt as cool as they thought it would be-so I doubt leaving doggy in pen would warrant an outcry

Back
Top Bottom