Help! my duck egg has an exterior breakthrough with its beak out but it’s been like that for 24 hours

Nov 1, 2023
So the ducks hatching date was yesterday and the duck is breaking through the bottom of the egg instead of the top…

Also the duck broke through to get its beak through the gap but hasn’t moved or made progress from then for 24 hours. Should i help it? or maybe make it more wet in the incubator…

Please help !

Attachments

• IMG_9022.jpeg
    IMG_9022.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 20
So the ducks hatching date was yesterday and the duck is breaking through the bottom of the egg instead of the top…

Also the duck broke through to get its beak through the gap but hasn’t moved or made progress from then for 24 hours. Should i help it? or maybe make it more wet in the incubator…

Please help !
Keep the humidity up, yes.

But you probably should not help the duckling at this time.

Is it moving the beak? If it seems to be chewing or yawning, that means it is still absorbing the yolk. It needs to finish absorbing the yolk before it hatches the rest of the way.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Here is a long article about assisted hatching. It has lots of good information.
That article says that ducks can take a long time to absorb the yolk and be ready to finish hatching (24-36 hours), and that pipping in the wrong place means it can take even longer yet (the article mentions 30 to 48 hours). That part is in the section titled "facing away from air cell."

I do not have much experience actually helping a chick to hatch, and none at all with ducklings. But I do have some experience with wondering, waiting, and then having the baby bird finish hatching on its own. And I have read quite a few threads from people who assisted too soon, and the baby bird ended up bleeding to death. So I would recommend waiting a while longer (but do read that article, so you can learn to recognize when is the right time to help if needed, as well as how to help.)

Keep the humidity up, yes.

But you probably should not help the duckling at this time.

Is it moving the beak? If it seems to be chewing or yawning, that means it is still absorbing the yolk. It needs to finish absorbing the yolk before it hatches the rest of the way.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/guide-to-assisted-hatching-for-all-poultry.72886/
Here is a long article about assisted hatching. It has lots of good information.
That article says that ducks can take a long time to absorb the yolk and be ready to finish hatching (24-36 hours), and that pipping in the wrong place means it can take even longer yet (the article mentions 30 to 48 hours). That part is in the section titled "facing away from air cell."

I do not have much experience actually helping a chick to hatch, and none at all with ducklings. But I do have some experience with wondering, waiting, and then having the baby bird finish hatching on its own. And I have read quite a few threads from people who assisted too soon, and the baby bird ended up bleeding to death. So I would recommend waiting a while longer (but do read that article, so you can learn to recognize when is the right time to help if needed, as well as how to help.)
Thank you so much! you don’t know how helpful this is as i’m quite new to this! thank you

Thank you so much! you don’t know how helpful this is as i’m quite new to this! thank you

You're welcome. I know how overwhelming it can be when there is so much to learn all at once, and sometimes even learning where to look is complicated :)

The site has an articles section, and you can also look through other threads for information. Some things get asked and answered repeatedly, but different people give slightly different answers, so if a particular subject is confusing it may help to read several different threads about it.

For questions of your own, it usually works best to start a new thread like you did here, rather than adding to an existing similar thread. That is because some questions that look the same can have different answers (like "should I help this duckling?" where the answer might be "yes" in one case, and "not yet" in another case.)

Back
Top Bottom