Help my duck got bitten by a snapping turtle!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lada12, May 20, 2019.

1. lada12

lada12 In the Brooder

May 20, 2019
    My Peking duck got one of its toes bitten by a 40 pound snapping turtle Yesterday. We ran out to TSC and we got disinfectant, tape, and a wound sealer. We have been cleaning the wound sealing it and then bandaging it up. The duck is also in its own dry dog cage away from the other ducks. But, the wound is still bleeding and the leg has gotten quite swollen. Someone please help.
    Thank you so much

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.
  2. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    How long ago did the bite occur? Does it show any signs of infection? How is your duck eating and drinking?

3. lada12

lada12 In the Brooder

May 20, 2019
    The bite was yesterday mid day it does not show any signs of infection. But we think the bone is broken, and the duck hasn’t been walking on it. The duck has been drinking and eating well.

Sequel and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  4. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I found this:

https://healththerapy.org/snapping-turtle-bite/

Sounds like the swelling might be infection related. If that's the case a course of antibiotics might be necessary. I would try a poultry/foul rescue supplement first and see how the next 24 hours go.

5. lada12

lada12 In the Brooder

May 20, 2019
    Alright thank you

6. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Pictures!!!
    How bad is the bleeding? If it is just staining the bandage it is ok, but a heavy bleeding should be stopped asap, think styptic stick or alumn.
    Most important: Keep the wound sterile and give an antibiotics like FishMox (Amoxicillin) to the duck. See video:

As usual a vet is the best option.

Sequel likes this.
  7. lada12

lada12 In the Brooder

May 20, 2019
    We have been kepting the wound wrapped and away from dirt and other things in order to keep it clean. It also hasn’t been bleeding through the bandage but just a little bit and it started to scab up a little bit. But thank you

Sequel and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  8. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Well, it sounds like you're doing great so far! Try to keep the duck resting, get some rescue/health supplements into the little quacker and I'm sure there are people on here who can walk you through splinting/wrapping!

Hang in there! :hugs

9. lada12

lada12 In the Brooder

May 20, 2019
    Alright I will thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: