Help! My duck has a prolapsed penis

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by duckygirl02, Jan 21, 2017.

1. duckygirl02

duckygirl02 New Egg

Jan 21, 2017
    So I have a Peking drake and today, after mating he couldn't get his penis back in. I'm scared because I've never dealt with this before and have no idea what to do! If someone could help that would be great! [​IMG] I'm just so worried because I don't want him to get an infection and can't afford to take him to the vet.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you checked to see that no feathers, etc. are preventing it's retraction? I think you should keep it somewhat dampened (water) so it doesn't dry out. In the meantime please
    post on the "Duck thread," at once and see what they have to say. Stay ON LINE because if you go off, NO ONE can reach you. Also post on the "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures" thread. for their advice as well.

You can put "Duck thread," in the search box and it will come up for you. You could do the same with "emergency thread." Hope he will be back to normal soon.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Great advice from D/diva.

Best of luck
    CT

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Preparation H will shrink the swelling and help it retract, while also keeping it moist enough to do so and not dry out. Just keep him quiet while that works and see what happens.

5. duckygirl02

duckygirl02 New Egg

Jan 21, 2017
    UPDATE: hey guys, thanks for the advice. However, we put some Vaseline on it and gently pushed it back in. He seems to be doing fine now. We separated him from the rest of the flock, and we made him comfortable with food and water. He is doing fine right now and hopefully he stays that way. Thanks again! [​IMG]
    Duckygirl02

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, duckygirl, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock! Hope your duck and all his parts are in their proper place. Best w and wishes and thanks for joining BYC! [​IMG]

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Glad to hear things are better with your guy!

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under duckygirl02 [​IMG] Welcome!

I am pleased to hear that your little man is probably feeling much more comfortable now.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to join the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by