HELP..My duck has bumble foot...What do I do???? VET SAID NO...

xfilesnumber1fan

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Missouri
My largest duck has bumblefoot..Trust me..It looks bad she isnt eating or drinking and wontgo near the other ducks..What do I do?? How did this happen and why the others have no signs..She is very large and heavy and the others are small and light..She walks around on small rocks by the water mud,dirt grass hay..HELP PLEASE...

UPDATED

Took her to the vet and the vet said she had a sore on the foot but nothing that was causing what was wrong she was so sick her fever was 109 I couldnt tell she had one,he took blood put her on a IV and gave ice cold bath her fever is down to 104 he said was good, I brought her home and have medication for her she is so weak she is laying flat in the cage in my cool,quiet basement I guess I just have to wait and see if she pulls through the blood work will be back tomorrow..The vet hoping her liver or kindeys are not hurt because of the fever....I love my girl...

Here she is....
19025_017.jpg

Last edited:
If she isn't eating and drinking and you really want to be sure to save her you may need to take her to the vet, I think.
Otherwise you should try to open the infected area with a sterile sewing needle or exacto knife, remove any plug and/or pus, wash, and apply neosporin two or three times a day.
Keep her in a small, well-bedded pen where she can still see/visit with the other ducks so she doesn't also have to deal with duck loneliness, but she isn't tempted to walk around too much. Just set it up with some wire fencing in your duck yard.
Look for things to tempt her to eat, boiled mashed eggs, peas, worms. You may need to give her water through a dropper into the side of her beak.
Do some searching on bumble foot. It definitly is something they can recover from if it hasn't gone too. far.
GOOD LUCK!!
hugs.gif

Well she is drinking and I have her in a cage alone she didnt want to be near the other ducks she kept hiding from them,she cant see them but can hear them..The pad on the bottom is soft not hard so there isnt anything to open its just big and flat,I felt it with my hand I know nothing will comeout..I have a call to the vet but he has called backed...

Good that she is drinking, now if you can get her to eat something . Her foot sounds like mine did when they had it, no plug but soft. I tried to open it with a needle and found no pus. Putting Neosporin or a triple biotic cream helped a lot you could tell after a day, I kept treating them for just a few day and they were fine.

Quote:
I put some of that on there and the vet called so I will bring her in and see what he says..I dont think its to bad but bad enough she isnt feeling good..She is laying down right now,thank god before she would just stand there and I didnt understand if your feet hurt lay down...Ducks you just gotta love um...

Hi!
So sorry to hear that your duck didn't make it...I know how sad it is when there is a such bad day.
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom