Help my duck hatched ducks and one is hurt

dianaduck

In the Brooder
May 27, 2016
I have 3 one day old ducklings she seems to be doing fine with them and hey are together in the house that is for them iam keeping the boy away.. do I need anything else to give them? I put water is all and food for mom. THE MAJOR problem is one is hurt when I arrived his neck is a bit tilted to the side he can't really walk but he moves and drinks water but mom wants nothing to do with him so I brought him inside what can I do?

You can try vitamin supplements poly vi sol infant drops withOUT iron and Brewers or nutritional yeast for niacin. Vitamin E can also help if this is neurological. Plenty of fresh clean water

You can try vitamin supplements poly vi sol infant drops withOUT iron and Brewers or nutritional yeast for niacin. Vitamin E can also help if this is neurological. Plenty of fresh clean water
Thank you I had him inside for about an hour and he actually seemed a bit better I put him back with mom and he made his way under her with out her having a problem do you think this is the best idea? To leave him and I will look into the vitamins

Can you post a video of him?
Yes I will try to do it I can kind and explain it to you for now his head is basically tilted to one side he had a small injury I'm not sure where but he seems actually perfectly fine and drinking water fine...he seems to kinda have hard time walking maybe because of his head issue he seems to go in circles...but I put him back with mom and made his way under her with no complains what do you think?

I would keep inside, also. Especially, since I believe you said mom rejected lil one before. In nature, the weaker or sickly are left behind or even killed. It's tough but prevents some of the mutations and defects continuing, offer better chance of species survival. For this reason I would bring it inside

I would keep inside, also. Especially, since I believe you said mom rejected lil one before. In nature, the weaker or sickly are left behind or even killed. It's tough but prevents some of the mutations and defects continuing, offer better chance of species survival. For this reason I would bring it inside
I saw this barely today and acuatlly left him back with mom I observed what she did and she let him go back under her...I checked on them this morning and thank God they are fine and eating drinking etc lil one is walking much better and mom seems fine so far...I hope I made he right decision.. I was wondering what is the correct feed for the duckling like I seen different percentages on bags would you be able to help me out with this as well lol thank you either way

I'm so glad momma accepted Lil guy back! If they have a duck starter/grower feed in your area get that. If not a chick starter/grower that is not medicated. The one I use is 18% protein because that's what is available. Some places have a 20-22% protein starter. Also, ducklings on chick starter need extra niacin added in form of Brewers or nutritional yeast. Not sure if that applies to ducklings that are brooded by the mom as she will teach them what to eat while foraging and once they are out and about eating bugs n such they no longer need extra niacin. After about 6 weeks they can go on what mom eats as long as it's not a layer feed. As the added calcium in layer feeds is not good for them until laying age. Momma duck can eat the starter too so you don't have to be stressed about that. What do you have mom on now feed wise?

Back
Top Bottom