HELP!!!! My duck is becoming pidgin toed!!!

Pekin duck mom

Songster
Nov 21, 2020
Her brother Lucky passed away a few months ago from niacin deficiency, the thing was, he had had it for a long time and i didnt realize thats what it was! (He was one of my first ducks)He turned pidgin toed back in July of last year at about a month old and passed away this past January. His case went textbook! He had wet feather, sticky eye and bumblefoot. I know I sound like a horrible duck mom for letting him get bad but believe me, I tried everything I could to save him. I got alot of help from @Isaac 0 and Lucky would never have lived as long as he did without his help and I hope he can help me now. Ok, im really worried about my duck named Violet, her feet have started to turn in and im afraid she will go lame too! I love my ducks and I have finally tamed them! She is the sweetest one! I can't stand the thought of loosing her! She is healthy otherwise and I don't think it's niacin deficiency due to her age...(She is 8 months old) and i feed them purina duck food! This recently showed up so that another thing. What else can make a duck pidgin toed?

A niacin deficiency tends to occur during the growing age when the bird's niacin requirements are at the highest demand. If she is around eight months, and the leg angulation developed rather quickly, I would suspect something other than a niacin deficiency. I have noticed some Pekins simply walk with their legs angulated, and do sometimes trip, especially when they're walking faster.

If you could post a video of her walking, that would help determine what might be her problem.

A niacin deficiency tends to occur during the growing age when the bird's niacin requirements are at the highest demand. If she is around eight months, and the leg angulation developed rather quickly, I would suspect something other than a niacin deficiency. I have noticed some Pekins simply walk with their legs angulated, and do sometimes trip, especially when they're walking faster.

If you could post a video of her walking, that would help determine what might be her problem.
Thank you Issac for getting with me. Thats what I thought too! It was just so sudden! I have noticed her limping some last week and I though maybe bumblefoot but I checked her feet and she was good! Today however, I saw her trip on her own feet and I quickly got on and posted asking for help! Better safe than sorry! Her feet are turned in though so she didn't just trip, and none of the other 3 ducks feet look like hers and they haven't been like this either! I spend a lot more time with my ducks after what happened to Lucky, there is no way I'm gonna mistake symptoms again!😳😣...Any ideas what else it could be?

Thank you Issac for getting with me. Thats what I thought too! It was just so sudden! I have noticed her limping some last week and I though maybe bumblefoot but I checked her feet and she was good! Today however, I saw her trip on her own feet and I quickly got on and posted asking for help! Better safe than sorry! Her feet are turned in though so she didn't just trip, and none of the other 3 ducks feet look like hers and they haven't been like this either! I spend a lot more time with my ducks after what happened to Lucky, there is no way I'm gonna mistake symptoms again!😳😣...Any ideas what else it could be?
I will also try and get pictures for you

Back
Top Bottom