Help my duck is foaming!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cockatrice6420, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Cockatrice6420

Cockatrice6420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Age 5 mo, female, cayuga, white foam from bill and nostrils. No other ducks affected. Still standing but weak and gurgling. Tried using stiff grass to retrieve whatever might be in there.

2. Cockatrice6420

I've even tried looking up info from Cornell University. They have a water fowl vet research program.... I can't find her symptoms for sure.

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Is she eating or drinking?

Any possibility of poison, or bitten/stung by anything?

Tagging some other folks who might have ideas

@casportpony
    @Miss Lydia
    @Lacrystol
    @jtn42248
    @caesargirl
    @Pyxis
    @RavynFallen

1 person likes this.
  4. Cockatrice6420

Not currently eating or drinking. Has been symptomatic for approx an hour and a half. Found in the pool swimming, while everyone else made their way to the duck yard.

5. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    I was asked already, my only guess is poison of some kind... any noxious plants around that it could have eaten???

ETA: to me those are severe symptoms... if possible, take to vet...

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I responded over on the duck forum - and if a vet is possible, I agree. Mercy, they get into trouble nights, weekends, and holidays…..

7. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    i would say flush her out. Get her In the tub let her swim in clean clear water for about 15 minutes watch her closely. SHe should drink the tub water then sprinkle food in the tub. This should get her curious to eat. there's a pill you can give her to absorb any poison, dang it what's the name of it. @miss Lydia would know. It's a charcoal. But it's only gonna work if it is poison

Is she pooping? Is she peeing the bath will tell you if she is. Sounds almost like she's got something blocking her or stuck and perhaps that's why she was in the pool when you found her. Try the bath with warm water. Is she free ranging. Is the eyes foaming as well? Is her breathing ok. Listen for any wheezing

1 person likes this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Activated charcoal

9. Cockatrice6420

She seems to be doing fine this morning. I will be getting some food grade charcoal today for just in case. She must have had something stuck. After the last attempt to dislodge whatever it was, she was breathing better and stopped foaming. She's yelling at us instead of gurgling. Thank you all for the help.

10. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    There you go, but I doubt it if it's poison to be honest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by