Help my duckling has angel wing!?

GeorgeCallDuck

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 22, 2013

My Call duckling, George (unknown sex), is about 4 1/2 weeks old hatched on 20th June. He has eaten 'Just Natural' duckling crumb from hatching and for the past week has been offered duck grain and chicken feed as well. He is let out all day to roam the pond with his father but locked in a duck house at night with water and duckling crumb. He has no siblings which I can match his progress to. The angel wing has only come up today and I don't know what to do. Am I doing something wrong? Please help!

My Call duckling, George (unknown sex), is about 4 1/2 weeks old hatched on 20th June. He has eaten 'Just Natural' duckling crumb from hatching and for the past week has been offered duck grain and chicken feed as well. He is let out all day to roam the pond with his father but locked in a duck house at night with water and duckling crumb. He has no siblings which I can match his progress to. The angel wing has only come up today and I don't know what to do. Am I doing something wrong? Please help!
Time to wrap while still young. don't wait because if you put if off it might not work...
some say to high protein others genetics, maybe combination of both but if George is foraging then I wouldn't say he is getting too high of protein. Just wrap and leave for a week then check and see progress you may have to rewrap and wait another week but I'd say as young as George is he should get over it rather quick.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...how-we-wrap-to-mend-it-pictorial#post_8682154 I would keep George in secure run while doing the wrap, especially off the pond and pool. and
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Thank you so much!
bow.gif

Will I have to keep him off the pond the whole time he has the bandage on??
Yes he could be out of balance I'd hate for him to drown, and those wings even a smidge small right now can still help him get away from a pred a lot easier than wrapped in a bandage. Give him a small something or other I use cement mixing tubs as temp pools take off bandage just long enough for him to have a swim then rewrap, or just don't give him anything to swim in while he is wrapped. He will be slightly out of sorts but only for a little while, plus getting this angel wing taken care of will be beneficial to him when those wings do grow out for pred protection.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom