Help...my ducklings face is still swollen by it’s bill

dpingtrich352

Songster
Mar 27, 2018
Tell City In
Can anyone help me or give me some information to help my baby duckling. She’s still really small, well for her age. The ones we got with her at the same time is like tripled her size. She’s eating and drinking fine, she runs and plays with no problem. But her face is still swollen by her bill, I don’t know what to do and I am very worried. She’s very special to me. After she gets wet or plays in the water she scratches at it a lot and it turns kind of red.

Attachments

• E77063B5-C707-4D09-A935-E26006B9F45E.jpeg
    E77063B5-C707-4D09-A935-E26006B9F45E.jpeg
    261.4 KB · Views: 81
  • 43A3CD1C-353F-4ADB-A4D4-7D512B17F7BA.jpeg
    43A3CD1C-353F-4ADB-A4D4-7D512B17F7BA.jpeg
    334.2 KB · Views: 33
  • B199E764-0A2A-4F6B-9FF2-CAAD792A7F1A.jpeg
    B199E764-0A2A-4F6B-9FF2-CAAD792A7F1A.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 32
  • EDE7E1EF-B224-4835-8EB0-93B850FBECEF.jpeg
    EDE7E1EF-B224-4835-8EB0-93B850FBECEF.jpeg
    310 KB · Views: 31
  • D46EA127-2CE7-4EB5-96D4-1DCA581EEF15.jpeg
    D46EA127-2CE7-4EB5-96D4-1DCA581EEF15.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 35
Sinus infection..Do you provide water deep enough to dunk its head?..Ducklings need clean water deep enough to clean eyes and nares all day long..

What do I do for a sinus infection? They do have Tupperware square pan that I fill up with up water for them. She did go a day or two without though but I gave her a bath those days and after the bathes she would sneeze and have some drainage from her nose, but it would be cleared up by the next morning. I almost have lost her twice now so I am a bit over protected and concern for her. We got her on March 17 from Orschlens and she was supposed to be a week old like the others that she was with, however she was so tiny, the lady gave me her because she said she wouldn't survive over night there with those other ducklings. They were walking all over her and there wasn't a thing she could do about it. At first we put her in the pen with the other 12 ducklings that we bought that day but she didn't stay in there long, maybe an hour at most and they had her soaked, and she was almost dying. It was horrible...I kept her in a towel and close to me so she could have some of my body heat as I was trying to get her dry. Then we put her under the light and she started coming around. But we had to keep her from the others and she cried and cried, we ended up putting another one of the smaller ones with her...but the one we put in there was picking on her so that one went out of her pen. Needless to say she's been a bit pampered since the second I seen her at the store.

What do I do for a sinus infection? They do have Tupperware square pan that I fill up with up water for them. She did go a day or two without though but I gave her a bath those days and after the bathes she would sneeze and have some drainage from her nose, but it would be cleared up by the next morning. I almost have lost her twice now so I am a bit over protected and concern for her. We got her on March 17 from Orschlens and she was supposed to be a week old like the others that she was with, however she was so tiny, the lady gave me her because she said she wouldn't survive over night there with those other ducklings. They were walking all over her and there wasn't a thing she could do about it. At first we put her in the pen with the other 12 ducklings that we bought that day but she didn't stay in there long, maybe an hour at most and they had her soaked, and she was almost dying. It was horrible...I kept her in a towel and close to me so she could have some of my body heat as I was trying to get her dry. Then we put her under the light and she started coming around. But we had to keep her from the others and she cried and cried, we ended up putting another one of the smaller ones with her...but the one we put in there was picking on her so that one went out of her pen. Needless to say she's been a bit pampered since the second I seen her at the store.
Vet visit and antibiotics might be needed..?
Ducklings need water at all times during the day. You could wet her feed to a soupy mix so she hydrates and gets nourishment too. Some ducklings need that extra boost. Separating it from the others is stressful too on Ducklings.

View attachment 1322888 Try this type of water containers for the Ducklings..Less water spills..
This is what I have in there now with her and the other little ones. She’s had water every day, all day long, she’s never been without water. She just didn’t have anything to actually fully dunk her head in for maybe a day or two. She did have her water container though that she could soak her bill in.

Attachments

• 8B63AD96-4083-4059-8FE9-8C5D6F579ABD.jpeg
    8B63AD96-4083-4059-8FE9-8C5D6F579ABD.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 36
The picture with the two arrows pointing her was the day we got her standing next to one that was in the same batch, the second picture of her is one week later and she’s still so much smaller than them. Her color is different than all of the others too. Her’s is really light brown where the others were black. So I am not sure what her breed is exactly. She eats really good, and drinks good too.

Attachments

• BB91BCFD-B662-4769-AABF-1D49EAFEC9CA.jpeg
    BB91BCFD-B662-4769-AABF-1D49EAFEC9CA.jpeg
    654.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 5912BF76-6DC3-43E4-BA81-E029BA4F75CC.jpeg
    5912BF76-6DC3-43E4-BA81-E029BA4F75CC.jpeg
    377.7 KB · Views: 28
Vet visit and antibiotics might be needed..?
Ducklings need water at all times during the day. You could wet her feed to a soupy mix so she hydrates and gets nourishment too. Some ducklings need that extra boost. Separating it from the others is stressful too on Ducklings.
Oh I forgot to mention, we only separated her from the rest when we weren’t with them so we could watch her, but we put a khaki cambell in there with her so she wasn’t completely alone. Then I brought her back to Missouri with me and she basically was on my lap or me holding her all day while I was at work. As soon as I got off I went to my local farm store and bought her a friend so she wouldn’t be alone. But they both cried, so I went back to the store and bought a couple more for her so by the end of her first day in Missouri she had 3 new ducklings to be around and they did so much better.

Attachments

• ECDA3017-12A3-43DE-8898-413EC05712EB.jpeg
    ECDA3017-12A3-43DE-8898-413EC05712EB.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 28
Oh I forgot to mention, we only separated her from the rest when we weren’t with them so we could watch her, but we put a khaki cambell in there with her so she wasn’t completely alone. Then I brought her back to Missouri with me and she basically was on my lap or me holding her all day while I was at work. As soon as I got off I went to my local farm store and bought her a friend so she wouldn’t be alone. But they both cried, so I went back to the store and bought a couple more for her so by the end of her first day in Missouri she had 3 new ducklings to be around and they did so much better.
Fantastic news..

Back
Top Bottom