Help! My ducklings keep sneezing... is that normal?

alexkimoto12

Chirping
Apr 9, 2017
Utah
Hello everyone! I just got ducklings last Friday, and so far we have had a rough start. We have a stream in our backyard acre:/, so we decided to go let them play in ityesterday. We watched them the entire time, and they swam and sunbathed for about a half an hour. When it was time to come back in I noticed a couple of them sneezing. Is that normal? They weren't acting cold, is there any way they could have gotten like mud up their noses? Do I need to do something for them? Please help, I don't think that's normal!:hit

They are about 4-5 days old, really young. I thought it would be okay to let them play for about 15 minutes and then sun bathe for another 15 minutes, they seemed happy, and our stream is about 70 degrees, fairly warm, and it was about 78 degrees outside, sunny.

@Ducks4us

They are about 4-5 days old, really young. I thought it would be okay to let them play for about 15 minutes and then sun bathe for another 15 minutes, they seemed happy, and our stream is about 70 degrees, fairly warm, and it was about 78 degrees outside, sunny.

@Ducks4us

Okay i would be careful with how much time outside in colder water like that. Time out in the sun with those temps should be fine .

And while wild ducklings are able to swim , they are waterproof so they dont get chilled like ours do.
Ours soak up the water so they get chilled
Make sure in their brooder they have deep enough bowl to clear out their nose. They will keep their nose cleaned out this way.
Off and on sneezing is normal, after swimming, eating, drinking.
But a constant sneezing could be something else.

Last edited:
And don't worry, I made sure to get them a water dispenser that they could dip their noses in to keep them clean and moist, but not deep enough to let them drown.

Your welcome, and good job
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Back
Top Bottom