Help my egg cracked

christinafaught

Songster
6 Years
Aug 18, 2016
My hen is sitting on eggs today is day 4 I checked them and one is cracked and a piece of shell is missing I can see the baby inside and membrane is in tacked I can see veins are also good what should I do I transferred it to my incubator but I wasnt it to grow and live

20180318_114719.jpg

Clean the space around it with diluted rubbing alcohol and cover it (EDT: the hole and the space you just cleaned. By cleaning the shell, you remove some of the blume, so that area of shell isn't as well-protected). There are a few different methods of covering holes.

Some people melt wax and put that and a piece of clean paper over the hole. Some people use scotch tape, though I don't know how well that would work. I'd use masking or electric, personally.

And good luck!

at this point, blume is not a factor. the shell is gone..
maybe try covering the hole with seran wrap shrink wrap ?
scotch tape or clear packaging tape ?

or dilute Elmers white school glue with water and paint the area with it. add a few coats as the first ones dry..
this is what I would do..
.......jiminwisc....

.......jiminwisc....
Yes, but there may be bacteria on the remaining shell, so you want to clean the exposed membrane and any possible micro-cracks around the hole before you seal stuff into it. That'll remove the blume around the hole though, which is my reasoning for covering everything you just cleaned.

Sorry that that wasn't clear in the original post.

maybe try covering the hole with seran wrap shrink wrap ?
scotch tape or clear packaging tape ?

or dilute Elmers white school glue with water and paint the area with it. add a few coats as the first ones dry..
this is what I would do..
.......jiminwisc....
Will it harm the baby like soak into the membrane

Yes, but there may be bacteria on the remaining shell, so you want to clean the exposed membrane and any possible micro-cracks around the hole before you seal stuff into it. That'll remove the blume around the hole though, which is my reasoning for covering everything you just cleaned.

Sorry that that wasn't clear in the original post.
What is a blume I haven't heard of that yet

Blume is a protective, bacteria-resistant covering that coats the egg right before it's laid. It's clear, and because backyard eggs are coated in it, you can leave them on your counter instead of refrigerating them as you would refrigerate store-bought eggs.

Hatching eggs are very prone to bacterial infection if they're washed, and washing them might cause you to find chicks dead in the shell before they can hatch.

Back
Top Bottom