Help! My eggs got wet :(

Well, the cold must have done them in. That one egg may have been alive but it was probably too weak to get out of that shell. I gave up on them tonight and cracked them open just out of morbid curiosity I guess. They were all rotten. Just gonna have to try again, and don't count your chickens before they hatch!
If they were rotten then that's why your hen gave up on them. Hens can tell if eggs are good or not.

If they were rotten then that's why your hen gave up on them. Hens can tell if eggs are good or not.
Hmm...so you think they were probably dead when she got off them? I thought I could see some movement in one a few days ago, but I could be wrong, unless they can rot in 3 or 4 days. Oh well, I've already got my next batch saved up for a friend to put in her incubator lol

If they were completely rotten then it took longer than a couple days. If you had a developed chick that was slimy then it died in the past 2-4 days. Sometimes when you turn a rotten egg during candling the membrane will move as you move the egg & it will appear to have movement in the egg. You have to watch really close sometimes to see if the movement is spontaneous or if it corresponds to your movement of the egg.

Back
Top Bottom