HELP! !! :'( My eggs went cold, ARE THEY STILL ALIVE??????

Hi, I have a Pekin Bantie that went broody. I brought her indoors in her own box with straw and she settled straight away. I let her out once a day for a stretch and a poop and she left the eggs for around 2 minutes before coming back indoors on her own. Day 20 was scary as she kicked out an egg and i was sure the chick had died inside as the egg was cold and there was no movement or noise. However, after 2 hours under Elsie, the chick half emerged and was weak. We helped her out and now Mildred is 2 days old and doing just fine. All may be not lost, just try to watch the hen and keep the egg under her at all times if you can.

the best thing would be fix you a cage by her self . then move her after dark . then she would only have one nest to go back to .other wise hens will just keep laying in her nest or breaking her eggs .never had much luck leaving them with other chickens. they just do better when they are alone .

I wouldn't bother her too much just let her do her thing, my concern is the others bothering her like that, is she smaller then the others? Because my cochins will leave the nest, when the rhode island reds come because they peck the crap out of her and they are a much bigger chicken.. Poor mommy. Well since they were cold yesterday you can consider that a day lost, however she may get her heater on really high close to the last day and they may be on time. I have seen my chickens do that, boy do they really get the heat on...

Once the chicks are born another you have to watch for is jeolously, I have a rooster who will go after the babies and kill them. He thinks he's captain commando and no other chicks are going to invade he territory..

On the lighter side of things, I have 4 hens all sharing eggs, its funny, they are paired up, a bantam with a cochin. My frizzled cochin with a bantam just hatched out 5 babies together. In the other nesting box I have a cochin with a bantam and they hatched out 4 babies together, all the babies have two mommies.. Talk about being confused.. LOL

Okay, thanks I was gonna candle.then again on day 14 and 18 is that too much still

You just candled them on day 10 so I would hold off until day 17 the day before lockdown. Your best bet is to leave them alone as much as possible. Mommy knows what she's doing so let her do her thing. I know it's tempting and irristible but please try to resist from disturbing, She's more experienced at it then you are giving her credit for.. LOL.. Don't worry soon you will have little stinkers running all around and then yo will be doing it again.. That's when the HCA disease kicks in. Hatching Chicks Addiction.

Liontamer: what is a pekin banty may i ask :) and im glad that your little chicky survived! Do you have a picture of her? I would like to see you mildred

Novaaman: a dog carrier sounds great but im like the poorest person out there, i almost had to sell one of my babies to buy food for the others 2 days ago, but i ended up gathering enough money from my friends.

Scottfarm: i just sold a bunch of my cloths yesterday and made like 30 bucks, hopefully thats enough to buy a little chickenwire so i can make a "minicoop" for her, any idea how much chicken wire is??

Lacrystol: she is one of the bigger chickens actually and the ones that pick on her are tad bit smaller, i think shes just too nice and they're just too mean? Awhh poor cochin did she end up hatching her eggs? Chickens can get hotter then 99.5?? Sounds like they're cooking themselves :p as for my rooster i think think the chicks will be fine, hes somewhat of a. ...Girl hes too kind, hes NEVER pecked, i think the hens are scarier haha

wait, so you're saying they're brooding together???? How cute!!!!!! I wish my hens would cooperate like that lol, i bet it feels great to have a moms caring for them :p

and in my other post i said shes was better then my at incubating, i know shes good, im the one that sucks lol, i think i already have HCA, i have 7 under my broody...well 6 because i took a clear out last night, and like 8 or 9 in my incubator XD i need to stop lol

Liontamer: what is a pekin banty may i ask
smile.png
and im glad that your little chicky survived! Do you have a picture of her? I would like to see you mildred
Novaaman: a dog carrier sounds great but im like the poorest person out there, i almost had to sell one of my babies to buy food for the others 2 days ago, but i ended up gathering enough money from my friends.
Scottfarm: i just sold a bunch of my cloths yesterday and made like 30 bucks, hopefully thats enough to buy a little chickenwire so i can make a "minicoop" for her, any idea how much chicken wire is??
Lacrystol: she is one of the bigger chickens actually and the ones that pick on her are tad bit smaller, i think shes just too nice and they're just too mean? Awhh poor cochin did she end up hatching her eggs? Chickens can get hotter then 99.5?? Sounds like they're cooking themselves :p as for my rooster i think think the chicks will be fine, hes somewhat of a. ...Girl hes too kind, hes NEVER pecked, i think the hens are scarier haha
wait, so you're saying they're brooding together???? How cute!!!!!! I wish my hens would cooperate like that lol, i bet it feels great to have a moms caring for them :p
and in my other post i said shes was better then my at incubating, i know shes good, im the one that sucks lol, i think i already have HCA, i have 7 under my broody...well 6 because i took a clear out last night, and like 8 or 9 in my incubator XD i need to stop lol
Yep the disease is starting to kick in, hate to be the one to tell you this but there is NO cure for it.. The only way to satisfy it is by more hatchings, You can't stop it, it will over take you.. so you will be building more coops. Don't worry you are not alone.... LOL...

Yes, two girls brooding together with there babies. One keeps them warm while the other goes to eat, then when she's done they switch jobs.. Babies are warm all the time. HA HAHa, I will have to get a pic its the cutest thing.

YES GET A PICTURE OF THEM!!!!! NOW!!!!! LOL

well i forgot that me and my dad built this fence this for my dogs so i just got it out of the garage Nd dragged it to the back yard it was soooooo heavy, di you think this is big enough for her?

Chicken trying to break in already!
fence2.jpg

Two chickens trying to break in lol
fence.jpg

4others trying to come inside...
hens.jpg

This is my ROO BABY!
silkiebaby.jpg

This is him showing off his rasberry lol
silkiebaby2.jpg

This is ms.broody
momma2.jpg

This is her close up!
mommahen.jpg

My shitty incubator that has random temp spikes and drops :/
incubator.jpg

And just for fun,
My ChowChow ASH
ash.jpg

And my BunBun MOKI eating ashs food haha
moki.jpg

OMG, the pictures are great. Yes, she should be fine..I like how the others are stalking her. LOL.. I see you forgot to turn one of the eggs, everyone one has the O up except One it's got the X up. Might want to turn it... LOL... Love the bunny picture.. HA HAHa I will have to take pictures tomorrow, I don't know why the bantams always have to join up with the Cochins, last year I had a bantam hook up with a silkie and again they shared the eggs and babies. Babies get sooo confused though when one mommy goes one way and does that clucking and the other mommy is doing her clucking, the kids are like which one do we go too.. LOL...

Back
Top Bottom