Help! My Flemish Giant mated with my mini lop bunny.

montana girl

Songster
12 Years
Aug 23, 2007
Kalispell, Montana
I asked this on the backyard farm forum and havent gotten a reply yet. On accident, my flemish giant got out and bred with my mini lop female.

Will she be okay? Yikes! The babies seem like they will be too huge!

They could very well be too big to birth. I would check with your vet and see what can be done if anything if she would have trouble birthing. You won't know for quite a while if she is actually bred. At two weeks you can palpitate if you are experienced in doing so. If not then you won't know until she shows signs of nesting or you can feel the babies moving in her belly closer to when they would be due.

No they will be fine,
all babys except dwarfs are born the same size,
Flemish babys are no larger than mini lop babys when first born, she just wont have as many.

Last edited:
Quote:
gypsy2621
I am curious as to why you say this. Is your theory that she won't produce as many eggs if she breeds with a Flemish Giant? If the babies are the same size wouldn't she have the same number? I don't know, I am just asking, I have raised a great number of rabbits in the past but I have not had Mini Lops mostly the larger breeds. I am very curious about this.

I am not sure how to explain it, but with larger breeds there is a more nutrient value needed for the kits, leaving the mother to absorb smaller kits.

here is an example not sure it will help explain it or not.

I had a Dutch come in (5lbs) pregnant, owner said the other rabbit was a New Zealand White,
She had 4 babies a few days after arriving, they were normal size kits for a dutch.

Many months later she was bred to a small Dutch buck and produced 12 healthy pure dutch babies.

No one purposly breeds a big rabbit to a smaller rabbit, generally its always an accidental breeding. it happens

Last edited:
The babies wont grow bigger then mom can handle, she will be fine. Just make sure she is getting good nutrition, plenty of water and to put her box in on day 28 just like with any other pregnancy.

No they will be fine,
all babys except dwarfs are born the same size,
Flemish babys are no larger than mini lop babys when first born, she just wont have as many.
Thats good to hear. I raise NZW for meat, and not knowing anything about FG, I got a male to cross, when reading, there was alot about babies being too big. Thats the same way with horses, babies weight is the same. So I didnt give it a second thought. I think people say the obvious cuz it would make sense. So It sounds like you know alot, is a FG crossed with a NZW a good meat rabbit? I might not be as fatty, but it cant be bad,

Back
Top Bottom