Help! Sick bunny

Akrasia

Chirping
Nov 20, 2020
My rabbit, Nova, is a 3.5 year old mini lop. She's been an outdoor bunny her entire life, and since we live in Minnesota, it's pretty snowy right now.
Last night, we realized that she hadn't eaten or drank anything, and we began to worry. She was also very sluggish, with little responses to our touch and from what we could tell, she hadn't moved from her spot all day. My family worried that she wasn't going to make it through the night.
We brought her inside to make sure she could warm up (we don't think this was the problem, we think that she began to overheat actually), and then we used a plastic syringe to force feed her some mashed up apples (her favorite) and water. Her teeth were fine, so there has to be some other issue.
She made it through the night, ate one apple that we had left in her cage, and is now sleeping.
Does it anyone know of any way we could help her more, short of taking her somewhere else? I'm desperate.

Get her to the vet asap. This sounds like GI stasis, which can kill fast. Rabbits are very good at hiding illness, so when they show issues like this it's important to get her help immediately.

Have you seen her pooping at all?

Also, if you haven't already I'd assess her and do a body check. Look for broken/ripped out nails or anything else that can cause pain. I've had a rabbit display similar/same symptoms because he ripped a nail out.

Most likely, though, I agree it is more than likely stasis. This is when the bun has a blockage--food or gas, which causes the exact symptoms you are describing. They stop pooping and eating, and that shuts their entire system down. Rabbits are grazers and so they need forage--food, grass and greens-- to constantly being moving through them. If this system is blocked, it can cause death pretty fast.

If you comfortable trying to treat her yourself, there are ways to do so without going to a vet. A vet does not necessarily mean they can do much more than what you can do at home. But you do you.

If you'd like to try to treat her at home, get some baby's gas drops from the store. I cannot quite remember the dosage, but you can google it and results will show up. I did a quick search and it seems roughly around .5 or 1 cc is common--but I'd check because I don't know your bun's weight.
You can syringe it into your bun's mouth. Or, mix with baby food mashed sweet potato or pumpkin--with no extra sugar--and syringe that into your bun. That stuff is a bit better than apple and they can take it in smaller dosages.

One thing I highly, highly recommend but I have no idea if you have it or can get it quickly is oxbow's critical care. It's a powder with nutrients for sick bunnies--mix with water to get the consistency you want. I SWEAR on this stuff--it's SO helpful to mix and syringe meds into your rabbit or give to get water and nutrients into them.
If you've never syringed a bunny, go very slowly. You can asphyxiate them if you go too fast. Shove it into the corner of their mouth and be methodical. Some buns take this well and others don't, so it takes time and patience.

If you are not comfortable or able to treat her at home, then yes a vet is the best option. I really hope your poor little bun feels better!

Back
Top Bottom