HELP MY FLOCK IS GONE!

Stupid thing posted beofre I was done. Is it possible they may be underneath your coop or have found somewhere to hide on your property? If not then I would start looking around the edges of your property for chicken poop. Is it possible that there might be a sound they would relate to home, like shaking of Feed in a canister? I know my girls come running when they hear me shake the food scoop. I would also ask your neighbors if they had heard or seen anything unusual, like heard a lot of chirping. I would expect that if they went running from the coop they would have continued running in the same direction their Coop door opens, unless the dog kept chasing them, they would have stopped eventually. When I lost a girl I found a big pile of feathers, then a trail of individual feathers that went into the woods. I didn't even see the individual feathers at first, but once I saw the first one there was a trail through the woods to a smaller pile of feathers and the trail stopped there. I assume whatever got her had caught up to her then. In your case, with 6 chickens, you'd expect to find something as a predator would be unlikely to catch and kill 6 chickens without dropping a single feather. It's just a matter of finding where they went.

Has your dog ever attacked a chicken before? How long did the dog have alone with them?

7 week old chicks are not tiny. And 5 of them, I have to think if the dog got ahold of them, you would find a bunch of feather, at least.

Have you given them any treats yet? Mine know the sound of the treats in the container. (heck, mine hear me take the lid off the trash can i store it in, and they come running!)

Also check on top of anything they could have gotten onto

Stupid thing posted beofre I was done. Is it possible they may be underneath your coop or have found somewhere to hide on your property? If not then I would start looking around the edges of your property for chicken poop. Is it possible that there might be a sound they would relate to home, like shaking of Feed in a canister? I know my girls come running when they hear me shake the food scoop. I would also ask your neighbors if they had heard or seen anything unusual, like heard a lot of chirping. I would expect that if they went running from the coop they would have continued running in the same direction their Coop door opens, unless the dog kept chasing them, they would have stopped eventually. When I lost a girl I found a big pile of feathers, then a trail of individual feathers that went into the woods. I didn't even see the individual feathers at first, but once I saw the first one there was a trail through the woods to a smaller pile of feathers and the trail stopped there. I assume whatever got her had caught up to her then. In your case, with 6 chickens, you'd expect to find something as a predator would be unlikely to catch and kill 6 chickens without dropping a single feather. It's just a matter of finding where they went.

looks like we were thinking along the same lines at the same time. :D

Shelby, I don't know where you live, but have you talked to your neighbors to give them a heads up? Also, our stray animal shelter, which is managed by our local humane society, will pick up stray chickens. Call your PD to let them know, ours will send out notices to the shelter and humane society about any lost animal. It can't hurt and more eyes are always helpful.

If you don't find them tonight and decide to put out flyers, offer a small reward and put that in large letters at the top. People get so used to seeing lost posters that 'Lost" doesn't even register. I supervised animal control for over 15 years and we've had all kinds of animals come through our shelter.

Good luck! :fl:fl:fl

Make sure someone is there sitting in the yard where they disappeared making some clicking noises or a noise or voice they are used to hearing. As it gets dusk, if they are still in the area nearby, they should be looking for a spot to roost or sleep. Sure hope you find those little boogers.

Aaaw gees, I was hoping for some good news when I signed in this morning! :(

I know you are searching everywhere and these are just some suggestions, but also look in places you would not imagine chickens to be.

I have read on BYC where one lost chicken was found tucked in behind a fridge in a shed where she had hidden in panic. Another was found caught up in some vines. Another squeezed in between two sheds.

So while they may have made a run for it into the forest or surrounding areas, they also may have dived into or under the closest cover and actually not be too far away.

Probably stating the obvious but if you can, try and keep the dog out of sight. If they have sought cover close by and can still see the dog, there are probably not going to ‘speak up’ and definitely will not want to come out.

So hoping that you find them! :fl

i was going to suggest talking to the neighbors also, maybe they can help you look maybe spread feed down even though you have predators in the area. like on a plate and weight it down. and some water. maybe a trail to the brooder at this point I wouldn't worry about raccoons. but if it is any consolation a hawk took a ladies hen in one of our groups, she figured it was gone, six hours later said hen injured and all made it home. How, I have no idea but she did.

Last hope for tonight. They've officially been gone 24 hours. I put down what I was using add their bed while they were under the heat lamp. Put some bedding down so it would be warm and put bread from the woods to the bed and from one of my gates to the coop. I pray they come back tonight. My husband is driving me crazy with saying they are gone and I should just get new chickens but I just want my chickens.... Sigh....
IMG_20171019_184656.jpg

Back
Top Bottom