Help My Geese Refuse Swimming pool

wheatnroses

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
I have always wanted a few geese, they are wonderful. This last April I my ordered goslings came. They are now just over 3 mo old. I put up a livestock water tank for them to swim in, it is 2 feet deep and 10 feet round. Sence there are 7 of them I wanted to make sure they had enough room. We put a ramp 10 feet long ( so it wouldn't be to steep for them to get in ) from top of tank to ground and cinder block just in side the tank and up to the edge so they could get out with ease. There are 7 geese, 2 africans, 2 sebastopols, 2 embdens, and 1 pilgrim goose, and none of them will get into the tank and swim or float or anything. I don't understand I thought geese loved water and as hot as it has been ( high 90's ) the tank would be welcome. Is it too deep??? they will climb up the ramp just fine but only to line up and get a drink and clean their bills. most of the time they get their drink from the ground over the side ( they just barely get their heads over the edge ). I gently set the pilgrim goose into the water and she seemed ok with it dipping her head neck and then diving under but when she came up with a splash the others ran away and she baled out over the side and ran away with them, I guess she didn't want to get left behind, but still refuses to enter the tank on her own. What did I do wrong???? What can I do to encourgage them with out frightening them??

I have tubs set up for my geese and they love it. Just some cinder blocks to climb on to make it easier to get in. The tubs aren't very deep and I am wondering if that is the problem you are having. I notice that my geese were reluctant to climb in the tub at first then they realized they could stand. perhaps they will swim but due to them being so young yet. Lucky you to be able to catch them to place them in..my geese are very skiddish. they won't swim unless I stand back

Place some smaller baby wading pools they can stand in. I found that kitty litter boxes that they can just step over the side work great. They love them. Let them work up to the big time.
lol.png

Don't give up just yet. It takes a while, trust me. We actually sectioned off a small area on our lake with plastic fencing for our babies that were hatched in March. It took them quite awhile to be brave and stay in. My dh kept saying they are never going to get in there and swim but I just kept working with them. One of the four was a little braver than the rest so I would put her in and she would do like yours did but any little noise would scare her out. The other 3 would just watch her. Then over a couple weeks they all eventually got in. Now they wait at the gate that leads to the area when they want to go in and once I open they gate they all four plop in as fast as they can and have a heck of a good time
smile.png

You might have to "help" them in the pool. They just don't know what it is yet, and are very cautious creatures. If there is one you can pick up, get in the pool yourself and put her down in it and stay there. If you stand in there, it must be OK, right? Heck, have a seat
big_smile.png
. Float some frozen peas in it, or other things your geese like.

Get a helper and have the helper scoop up geese and put them in there with you. They'll figure it out.

Thank you everyone for all the support and great ideas. I was so afraid that I was fighting a loosing battle and would have to scrap it all. You've been GREAT!!

Back
Top Bottom