Help, my geese won't wash or defend herself

Mariskaklap

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2020
Hi people,
I have two nine month old geese, one of them is a gander. The other one started laying eggs last week. But now she is very dirty, she stopped washing herself. Also the goats keep biting her feathers, normally she would run away or defend herself, but she stopped doing that. She doesn't seem to be sick or down in her behaviour.
Is this related to her first time laying eggs?
The first picture is my clean gander for comparison, the second my laying goose

Attachments

• 20210304_163508.jpg
    20210304_163508.jpg
    547.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210304_163503.jpg
    20210304_163503.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Is it possible that she has stopped bathing because the gander breeds her whenever she enters the water ? She may need a solitary bath time.

Is it possible that she has stopped bathing because the gander breeds her whenever she enters the water ? She may need a solitary bath time.
I don't think that's it. She rarely goes into the bath, she usually bathes in a crate that we set out for her because she doesn't want to swim. But thanks tot thinking along! I will try to fill a bath for her alone :)

Hi people,
I have two nine month old geese, one of them is a gander. The other one started laying eggs last week. But now she is very dirty, she stopped washing herself. Also the goats keep biting her feathers, normally she would run away or defend herself, but she stopped doing that. She doesn't seem to be sick or down in her behaviour.
Is this related to her first time laying eggs?
The first picture is my clean gander for comparison, the second my laying goose
Update: i gave her extra nice and fresh greens and fruit, and made her her own warm bath and shower, and she is way better now :) she is starting to wash herself again and bites back like she used to. Thank you all!!

Back
Top Bottom