Help!! My girls have all but stopped laying!

thehippiechick

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
KY
OMG! I can't handle this! I have 4 layers, 2 cochins, and 5 babies and my 4 layers were giving me 4 eggs a day and then BOOM!, now I get maybe 1 egg a day! WHY!?? I have one done gone broody on me but the others are okay. Also, even though there are 4 nests, when the others do decide to give up the goods, they get on top of Kim (a.k.a. broody butt) in the nest and lay on top of her! Help me out as I am new and frustrated! And greedy. I want my eggs!

Welcome to byc! You should really separate your broody from the rest. if other hens are laying in there, you will have a stagggered hatch. (considering of course that you have a roo)I had the same situation a month or so ago. If you don't have a roo, then you either have to break her broodiness or get some fertile eggs under her. As far as the others not laying
idunno.gif

hens like to lay where other eggs are, wo even if there are other nesting boxes--they will lay where other eggs are, even if another hen is in there.
try separating the broody with some eggs, and see how the laying goes from there.

Good Luck!

Okay, to qoute Matthew Broderick, "It's like Africa hot" here in KY! No one is molting, at least I don't think so, remember I'm kinda' new. So maybe it is the heat. I will move Kim to see if that helps. I feel sorry for her since I know it's even hotter in that nesting box! Bless her maternal instinct! BTW, my up-til-now useless cochins have started contributing. I got a tiny little egg from one of the girls. After 4 months I get 1 egg? I don't think she's earned her keep!

Mine have slowed down considerably since it has gotten so hot. I was getting two a day out of three hens, now I am lucky to get one. Today I did get two but it is the first time in over a week.

Back
Top Bottom