Help!! My hen almost drowned!!

brownie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 11, 2008
British Columbia, Canada
What should we do with our hen who is very cold, wet and in shock from being chased by our neighbour's dog into a well? My husband just rescued one of our hen's from the water,wrapped her in a towel and brought her into our house where it's safe and warm. She's breathing, but not moving. It's there anything we can do to save her, or is she going to die? I'm very concerned, because I don't want to lose her.

Welcome to BYC!!!

I am so sorry that you have this terrible problem!!
hit.gif

You might try using a hair dryer (on low) to dry her off. She should be placed in a warm, quiet place (dog crate with a heating pad???).

She also needs water. Look under some of the previous posts in this section for suggestions as what to feed/water her.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
Get her close to the heat. A heatlamp would work. I dont think you should use a hair dryer because it just might stress her more. Get her all dry and in a warm spot before she goes to bed. Then just offer her a little water and food only after she is warmed up.
edit: O and make sure she doesnt get overheated. hope this helps.

Last edited:
one of mine accidentally fell into the horse water tank once in the winter
sad.png
He was freezing cold I rushed him in a blew him dry with a blowdryer and then placed him under a heat lamp. A few hours later he acted fine but I still kept him in for a few days.

Yeah I think hair dryer is best, I was just worried it might stress out the hen more. I would definitely keep her in for several days after, giving her some extra protein and vitamins too.

Thankyou everyone for responding so quickly; I love this forum! My husband lay our poor hen next to the woodstove, so she's warming up now. It's been about an hour and a half now since she was rescued, and the other hens are going in to roost. We'll keep this one inside near the fire over night and see how she is in the morning. I guess thar's all we can do for now. Thanks again for the advice. I'll let you know how she is in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom