Help my hen has sour crop !!!

Bbailey1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
British Columbia, Canada
what do i do ??
everything I've tried isn't helping? I noticed it yesterday am, I brought her inside and just with me lifting her she started to "vomit" dark brown bile with bits of seeds and dirt etc. I've given her water/asv with a syringe, my vet phoned in an RX for Ketoconazole 20mg 2x a day, I've tried olive oil.

And today her crop is smaller about golf ball size, but I can feel still bits of food etc in her crop. Her droppings all day yesterday were clear with white mixed in, 4 in total. Today she has had less droppings 3 clear/white and 1 cecel poop?!

any advice out there, would be great !!
thx

and I forgot to mention, that I talked with an avian Vet today and she told me to admin lactulose and milk of magnesium and a mixture of apple sauce and papaya.... any thoughts ?!

thank you Kathy

Im in the works trying to get some..... fingers crossed !!!

its hard to get help for chickens in my area !!

any other things you think i should do ?

I got some Baytril inj. yesterday !!

All ready I see an improvement this morning.... some really big poops that she hasn't had for days ( not solid but not white and clear like before) , so I'm taking this as a good sign lol.

Fingers crossed she will get better now !!!! I guess only time will tell......

I got some Baytril inj. yesterday !!

All ready I see an improvement this morning.... some really big poops that she hasn't had for days ( not solid but not white and clear like before) , so I'm taking this as a good sign lol.

Fingers crossed she will get better now !!!! I guess only time will tell......
Baytril works really fast, hope it helps your girl!

-Kathy

she pooped out a HUGE 3-4 inch grass/hay compressed poop !!!!
thumbsup.gif
YAY!!! Hopefully that is the only blockage and things will start to go back to normal !!!
I'll keep you posted.....who ever is reading this
frow.gif

Last night she continued to poop out more grass/hay, needless to say she is starting to feel much better !!!! And she started to drink on her own last night
yesss.gif
Her crop is slowly getting smaller so I believe things are looking up !

This is day 6 without eating anything but yogurt, so today I offered her moist layer mash but she docent seem to interested.

Hopefully by tonight she feels up to eating........

Just thought I'd update.....
My hen is doing really good, she's drinking and eating( crushed layer pellets and plain yogurt ) and her crop is filling up during the day and is empty in the morning. Her poops are becoming more normal every day too! She has lots of energy again and starting to not like her crate, so tomorrow night I think I'll put her back with her group, fingers crossed. :fl

Also I'm still finishing her Baytril inj for another 4 days, I read on here to always finish the treatment, min 10 days.....

I'm so relieved, that she's on the mend :D

Back
Top Bottom