HELP!!! my hen is hurt :(

Evelle

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
North Idaho
so she was fine when i let her out and fine when i fed them...
i went to go give them a treat and my BO hen is limping she cant/wont put any weight on it..
what should i do... should i just wait it out and see if she just hurt it or do you think it something more serious
i put her down under the coop with the younger pullets and not with the older girls so she wont be picked on..
its really sad.. she is my mothers hen if something happens to her.. im going to have to tell her. oh man!!!

Is there an outer injury like a cut or something? If not will she let you handle her leg to see if there is any warmth or swelling that would indicate an internal injury?

opps sorry i should have put more detail into that...
lol i should quit while im ahead darn...
okay so i looked at her leg couldnt find any scratch or and outter injury.. i pick her up and she wailed around all crazy like then stoped and her leg was not really limp.. more like uhhh tence?? i moved her inside and sat her on the ground and she kinda look like she was leaning to one side... i felt around idk if it was just cuz she might have hurt it but her right hip stuck out a little more then the left.. it wasnt warm persay.. the same as the other leg.. but she hops i just dont know what happen she was fine then i turn around and she was limping..

i sqeezed her leg and she doesnt seem irritated with it.
she doesnt move away or sqawck at me.
i moved her leg back and forth and she didnt mind that
the only thing i thought was weird was her hip i wish i could explane it better.

I'm finding stuff happens...especially with chickens. Lots of stuff. I'm experiencing my first flock and already have had a number of crises to deal with. The first injury was a hen with an injured claw/nail. It wasn't easy to stop the bleeding and she wouldn't put any weight on it, but bottom line she did okay. And so will your hen if she is protected from further injury and has a chance to heal. You did good separating her.

As I type this I have a bare bottom hen in the other room, pecked clean from the others. Must say I'm enjoying her visits with me
smile.png

If there is a noticeable difference in her hips, she may have a dislocation. I have not dealt with that before but the link in my signature may give you more info. It is a great site. Good luck.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom