HELP my hen is hurt!!!!

Snakechick

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
NY
i am in New York and it is very cold right now and there is snow EVERYWHERE

My hen hurt her toe somehow and it is bleeding.

I cleaned it with warm water and vinegar and the peroxide, then put her back outside. i also started adding vitamins for all birds to their water. it seems to hurt her when she walks and i dont know what to do. I have a small flock of two .

i found some Biocaine that we used for my dog when he had an infection on his ear and it worked great. it says safe for all ages of cats and dogs, and i read somewhere that someone used it for their ferret.

Does anyone know if it is safe for chickens also.

Thanks SsOOOO much for any advise... i really need it

Do not use anything with "Caine" in it on chickens. It is not safe for them. If you have some triple antibiotic cream that will work just be sure it doesn't have pain reliever in it. The biggest thing is to get the bleeding stopped and try feel her calm and the foot clean. Chickens heal quickly so only a day or two and you should see a big difference.

You might also (for the future) want to keep a product on hand called Kwik Stop (or some other styptic powder) which will stop bleeding. We have several types of birds and always have styptic powder on hand.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004PJ55KC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

One of our BR's lost her entire toenail this summer - copious bleeding - and we were able to finally get it stopped with the kwik stop.

Back
Top Bottom