Help! My hen is not walking: possible Marek's?

Im trying to decide what I need to do with my poor hen. She is 12-13 Weeks and has been isolated from the rest for a week. She stoped walking a week ago after it looked like she hurt her foot. I treated for Bumble even though I didnt see any signs, Ive bee feeding her and she is eating and drinking but is isnt walking at all. Shes just laying down and not moving. Her crop is pale, (it was pretty red before when she was healthy). My other girls are completely fine and showing no symptoms at all. All my chicks were vaccinated for Mareks from Meyers Hatchery but everything Ive read says thats no guarantee.
Im wondering how long I should let her go on like this and if it is Mareks, should I just humanely put her down since there is no cure? Any advice is very much appreciated.
Update on my boy, yes he is a cockeral as his tail feathers are coming in more now and they are definately currved! So he is still isolated eating and drinking and he is trying to move himself around with his wings and looks like hes trying to prop himself up even though hes unsuccessful right now. Im wondering is i should try and place him back in the coop now or wait until he is actually putting weight on his legs and standing? I know he will not be able to go down the ramp to the run until hes stronger but I thought maybe being around the hens would help him. Any thoughts?

Curious, should I keep him isolated still for the next few days to see how he does with the new food schedule? Ive read pros and cons as to keeping him away from the group
Okay so im going on week three with this bird and i still have him inside. Ive been soaking him in warm epsom salt water and hes eating and drinking. He is trying to get around by scooting himself with his wings and it looks like hes trying to stand a little. Since its been a while I started moving his legs to try and keep his muscles moving. I am trying to give hime time and im hoping he will pull through and its just a sprained leg ( his elbow? ) on the left side does seem a little bigger than the right side and that was the side he was initially limping on. His comb is also standing up again even though the full color has not returned. Im open to any advice as to how long I should continue this ? I keep telling myself Ill wait until hes standing but I also dont want him to suffer.

Hi Melissa. I think our bird is going through something similar. Almost a month now of isolation, lots of vitamins and our bird (hen, about about 5 months old) still can't walk. Now she is crossing her feet and scratching herself. She can take a few steps unsteadily if we put a treat just out of reach. At first we thought it was a vitamin deficiency but now we think it might be neurological. Could you give an update on your bird please?

Hi Melissa. I think our bird is going through something similar. Almost a month now of isolation, lots of vitamins and our bird (hen, about about 5 months old) still can't walk. Now she is crossing her feet and scratching herself. She can take a few steps unsteadily if we put a treat just out of reach. At first we thought it was a vitamin deficiency but now we think it might be neurological. Could you give an update on your bird please?
Hello, so sorry to hear about your bird. Unfortunately mine never recovered. I gave her almost 6 weeks, even put her back in the coop thinking that maybe being around other could help. Nothing. Unfortunately she was never able to walk so I made the very hard decision to humanely take care of her. Im so so sorry to give you bad news. Hope your girl has better luck.

Back
Top Bottom