HELP!MY HEN IS PROLAPSING AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!

Enrya

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2015
Ok so my hen that I believe is 3 years has a bunch of waste on her hind end along with what looks like some organs. I am not exactly sure but I believe she is prolapsing.

I'm am not sure what's going on and would like some help, can anyone tell me what is happening and what I should do?!?!?!?

Here is a closer look

Please please please help me and try not to mention culling, I promised to take care of her when my friends gave me her, after she was the last surviver on a bear attack in their coop,
Thank-you!

I'm sorry but I don't think there's much you can do. I had 3 hens at 3 different times go through this. I lost 2 of the 3. When I asked this question, there wasn't anyone who could suggest anything except that if there was an egg stuck, you can try to get it out but usually all you can see is her insides. I know it looks messy and painful but I don't think there is much we can do to help. I'm sorry I'm not much help - I hope she can recover from this. I also hope that someone has some advise as to what to do, I would like to know too.

I would clean her vent area off in order to see better (perhaps soak her bottom only in warm Epsom salts water or soapy water) and take another picture. Dry her off, and apply some honey to her vent, and try to push the red tissue back inside. How much is hanging outside--an inch or so or more? Honey or Preparation H cream can be used to keep the prolapsed tissue moist, and help to shrink it, so that it will eventually stay in. Stop her from laying eggs by placing her in a dark cage for 16 hours overnight every day. If the tissue dries out, part of it will dry out and die, so keeping things lubed and moist is important. Realize that prolapse can occur again, and that large eggs can cause this. Many hens do not recover, especially if the prolapsed tissue has been pecked at or dried out, or if too much has come out. Research prolapsed vent on BYC in the search box at the top of this page for more help. Keep us updated on her condition, and good luck.

Thank-you, not much is hanging out actually. I will keep you updated

Back
Top Bottom