Help my hen is sick

HenmomTN

Hatching
Sep 19, 2020
I have a 6 month old Rhode Island Red who is running a fever. Her wattle is swollen and it looks like part of it was pecked off. She is very listless and won't eat or drink. We have been force feeding her warm oatmeal and forcing water with electrolytes down her, We have been doctoring her wattle with peroxide and neosporin. As I sit here and type this she is sitting in my lap wrapped in a towel to keep her warm, which that in itself is VERY unusual for her because she doesn't like to be handle a lot. I have attached a picture of wattle. Any ideas what to give for infection? I know I can't get antibiotics OTC but any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Chicken.jpg

We crushed up a baby asprin and mixed it with some yogurt and fed that to her hoping to stop some of the swelling and reduce fever.

Is there an odor coming from her head that it could be fowl cholera?
[/QUOT

no, no odor. I believe it's an infection from her wattle. We crushed up a baby aspirin in yogurt then fed that to her and she seems to be doing better. She is eating on her own now, we no longer have to force feed her and she is eating solid foods somewhat (she is devouring mealworms which are her fav treat).

That's a good sign!

yes it is, but once the aspirin wore off she is back to not eating etc...so the plan is to keep her isolated and give her an aspirin a day until the infection is gone. I definitely welcome any and all ideas on how to get rid of the infection for good.

Back
Top Bottom